Condenser Only Coming On Outside When I Reset House Breaker

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

chip74

The problem started a few days ago when I noticed that the air coming from the vents was not as cold as it has been. I had this problem a few years ago and called a tech and he replaced a circuit board (not exactly sure which one...but I remember it was to the tune of over $300.00) which fixed the problem. Now three years later it seems the problem has resurfaced.

The outside unit "hums" while the inside blower runs. The temp at the thermostat when moved to different temperatures cuts the inside blower on and off as usual, but the outside unit continues to "hum". If I turn the inside breaker to the outside unit off and back on again, the outside unit starts in about a minute and works for a little while until the desired temperature is reached inside the home and the outside unit turns off (as it always has done). When the AC turns back on again, the outside unit does not turn on (inside blower works fine) and we repeat the same cycle...I can flip the inside breaker to the AC and that seems to do perform some type of "reset".

There is also a box (I think it is a service disconnect switch)(Interstate Electric Model# 80315--It is like a pull out flip switch that is labeled OFF and ON...flip one way to ON and pull out flip 180 degrees and insert to OFF) that the outside unit is connected to. I have also removed this "flip switch" after resetting the breaker and the outside unit has turned on.

I have inspected the contactor and its arm moves freely; however, the contacts appear blackened.

The Unit is a Nordyne and was installed back in 2003. Any information and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance,
Chip

Model#: T3QA-048KA
Robert

Hi Chip,

You will need to see if you are getting full main and low voltage power to the heat pump condenser outside.

What the tech probably replaced is the defrost board outside.

IF this is same problem as before, that's twice in 6 years since new, it should be inspected by a competant hvac tech to try and detect the problem.

For more step by step troubleshooting help, go here and follow the instructions :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order4b.html

What part of Tennessee are you in ?

Are you saying the unit works after you reset breaker with the disconnect pulled out ?

Can you take a pic of the disconnect pull switch ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
chip74

Hey Robert,

Tracy City, Tennessee...I came home this afternoon and noticed that the house was warm again...went outside and noticed that the condensing unit was just humming...removed the panel screws and pressed the bar on the contactor and just herd another hum (like something is trying to engage...I am guessing the compressor?). Anyway...What is the voltage supposed to be and where do I start checking...I will upload the pic.

Thanks,
Chip
chip74

chip74

Robert,

Well...left the unit off for about five minutes...switched back on and presto...it is back on (seems to be an internittent problem). I will see how long it lasts...If I reset the breaker and then reseat the main outside...everything seems to work.

Thanks
Chip
Robert

Hi Chip,

240vac to contactor, compressor and fan motor.

24vac to contactor coil.

See above link given earlier for more detailed info on troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?