Nordyne CMF80-PO AC Question

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

HouseMedic

Hi,
I have a Nordyne CMF80-PO down draft oil furnace and was wondering, If I want to hook up AC to this unit, Does the A-Coil just get put under the unit between the heater and the duct work?
If I remember right it is now sitting on a model MA-200 base but it might be a MA-100 base. I am not near the unit now and can't check it. I am repairing some of the lengths of duct work under the house. Now it just has a short feeder duct going about ten inches down to the duct work that runs the length of the house under the floor joist. This unit is in a pre-fab house that was two parts put together. It has two ducts running down each side that are 14 1/4" x 3 1/2" in size connected with a crossover duct. They seemed to have used a lot of mobile home parts when this house was factory made. The house now sits on a 3ft. high block wall craw space. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
HouseMedic

I have a chance to pick up a used unit and would like to know if anyone would know if it would fit my unit? (listed above) CMF80-PO
This is the unit I could get.
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mat/1418624896.html

The numbers go like this:
Condensor:
Model number: CA5530VKD1
Style# 30MCE-000095ZR
MFR# NCA5530VKD1

Coil:
Goodman Manufacturing #15344-04
Model# U-36

Any info would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Robert

Hi Ron,

Yes, the a-coil would go under the furnace between it and the duct below.

As for the used unit on craigslist, I would be careful there as it is easy to get burned.

Also, would need to do a Manual J Load Calculation on home first to know size needed.

Then would need to know size of coil to ensure it would fit in the space provided.

Would also need to upgrade to a heating/cooling blower assembly if you have a heat only one now.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
HouseMedic

Thanks Robert,
I have to get some more info from the heater. It is my beach house and I will have to check it out next time I am down. I am also thinking of changing over to LP Gas instead of oil for the furnace. Do you think this would be a good idea? I don't have it hooked up to a oil tank at this moment and I have to repair some duct work and just figured now would be the time to think about changing over. I used to have a stand alone unit for air but now that I have a cement block foundation/crawlspace and the old unit is on it's last legs I did not really want to put the big hole is the block wall for the older ac unit.

Thanks again,
Ron
Robert

Hi Ron,

If it would be good cost wise for you and it is type heat you want, that would be fine.

When working on units and homes, it is a good time to make such changes if you already have things opened up and are in there working any way.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Rod

The CMF Miller is not split system compatible. The MA-100, MA-200 or the CB-200 bases are not coil cabinets. The wiring for the furnace is set up as a simple 2 wire heat only furnace. You need to use a self contained A/C with this furnace. Also a damper so the A/C does not sweat the heat exchanger on the furnace.

That being said I have seen some CMFs set on top of home made coil cabinets and the furnaces re-wired to run a split system. Not recommended.

Be careful buying a used A/C that you have no way of running before you buy.

Good Luck

Rod
HouseMedic

Thanks for all the info guys. I was looking through a service book for this model furnace that I found online and I did find a spot that said something like it was heat only. I guess if I want a split system I will have to look into a full new system.

Thanks again for your help.
Ron
Robert

Hi,

Building a plenum box/coil cabinet is done often and would be fine to have done here as well,unless the furnace manufacturer says specifically to NOT do so. As for wiring, a 2 wire a/c control box solves that issue or go with a 4/5 wire a/c control box and switch to a 4 wire t-stat and run 4 wire t-stat wire.

We do not have a lot of oil furnaces around here and I have done very little work on them. That being said, I can see no reason I know of to prevent this from working if desired.

However, if it was me, I would go with the packaged unit outside. As stated earlier, not a big fan of buying hvac from craigslist.

Would also need a close off damper in the supply connector collar to main duct as well as one under furnace if installing a packaged a/c outside.

Thanks,
Robert
Rod

Ron

I am not sure in the owners manual or spec guides have any info about not running an A/C unit with this furnace. However the CMFs have always come with a tag/sticker in the furnace that states do not run with Split System A/C. On the brand new furnaces the tag is located on the lower portion of the door. The older ones usually mid way point on the furnace itself.

This applies for all CMF models Oil or Gas. As it is the exact same furnace its just which burner its equipped with.

On another note. The CMFs (especially oil) should have a periodic teardown done.
It involves removing the burner & front cover plate. Remove weldment plate. This will give you access to remove the combustion chamber that sits inside the heat exchanger. Now you can vaccuum out the inside. Pay special attention to the exhaust port at the lower rear section of the heat exchanger to make sure its clean & clear. This is now the time to do a good inspection of the heat exchanger.......... make sure no holes, voids, cracks etc. Install new combustion chamber & gaskets.

This is a fairly brief explanation of the process. This is a job that can be done DIY however you may want to consider having it done by a qualified tech.

Good luck

Rod