to clean or to replace

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

yvettekoehler

hello, i recently had indoor coils cleaned (in place) because the nordyne system was leaking condensating under the drain pan. i spoke with a different ac company and they suggested a new a-coil instead of cleaning. I got the impression that it would be a lot quicker to replace rather than repair. my question is would I be better off paying 750 for a new coil or should I have it removed and cleaned for 400? 2nd company told me there was no guarantee that cleaning it would stop it from leaking underneath drain pan. drain pan is not cracked and i just want the water damage to stop, my floors are ruined, the insulation under the mobile home is ruined and I have water in my duct crossover. I would like to make repairs but ac is still leaking. any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Robert

Hi,

If it is an electric furnace with coil at the top, be sure your drain line is not clogged and is draining good. Also be sure you have a trap installed in the drain line.

If it is an old coil, I would replace if I had it out.

Is the $750 for coil only or coil and labor ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
yvettekoehler

750.00 was for the a-coil and labor. Is it possible to have the unit cleaned correctly while it is in place? The water problem could be from the coil being dirty, it is 9 yrs old, how long can they last? As for the the drain, it is draining, and the trap is located underneath mobilehome , area where drainpipe come out is wet. The weather here is beginning to change and cool off. When the ac guy was here and froze our coil, I tried to turn on heat and it the heat element was working but the blower fan was not turning on in "auto" mode, so we switched it to on and blower fan came on. My husband had to change out the blower fan, since the water ruined the original one this summer. The replacement fan had more wires than the original, so he just taped them off. Any suggestions on this subject? Thanks for your help and may you have great day.
Robert

Hi,

Go here and see the articles on cleaning your a/c and cleaning a furnace blower:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

In heat mode-auto, the sequencer controls the blower motor.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?