Nordyne Elec. Furnace Filters System?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lilskye

Hi there:

Nordyne Electric Furnace - Model #: E2-EB-015-HA

I have a mobile home that I inherited on my farm property and have new renters occupying it.

We are completely baffled by the seeming lack of a filter system on the unit, and I suspect that one was not installed or ??

It appears to be a Nordyne E2 Electric Furnace and seems to have been installed to be "downdraft" according to the pictures in the manual. The coils & pins system is indeed on top of the unit, but the coils are caked with dirt and there is no apparently place where a filters would go. The pictures in the manual just say "coil air filters" with an arrow pointing to the coils.

It seems like there would be some sort of frame surrounding the 2 coils (the ones that peak in the shape of an inverted triangle), that would hold filters over the coils - is that what is supposed to be there? Otherwise from the pictures, it would seem that any filters would just be lying on top of the coils - ???

The inside of this area is quite dirty and full of dust, etc and I cannot imagine that this is the air that should be recirculating into the system.

I see on this site that there are a variety of filters one can buy, but am not clear at all on where they actually are supposed to go and how they would stay over the coils (if that's where they'd go!)

Also the unit has a very cheap filter duct-taped to the back of the inside of the air return grille covering this area. If we put a high end pleating filter, there is nothing that would hold it in place in the grille (without the duct tape.)

Any ideas on how this system is supposed to be property filtered? And where we are supposed to put the filters? and how they are supposed to stay in place? LOL!!!

BTW, there are also some completely disgusting looking foam side panels on the inside walls of where the blower unit is, as well as one inside the flat solid door panel that covers the blower, control panels, etc area. Are these supposed to be replaceable? I'm not clear on why one would have sponge-type filters in a solid door panel and not where the grille is where air would come thru? or on the side walls - ?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.
Robert

Hi,

First go here and read my articles on cleaning your a/c and cleaning a furnace blower and look at the pics :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Take care of that first.

Then, the original filters were aluminum mesh and one laid atop each side of A-Coil by sliding under small lips on the ends of each side.

Some coils negated to have the lips and even with them, those were pains to deal with, flimsy and broke often, pricey and didn't keep anything clean except the coil.

I began suggesting hogs hair fibered filters to go behind the louvered door panel and Nordyne has also now went to same suggestion.

Measure your louvered door panel, then call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and order a Nordyne Hogs Hair filter for that size door.

You will possibly/probably need to trim it slightly to fit.

Place small square grids (if applicable) towards the coil when installing.

Slide it into/under the door edge lips on backside of louvers.

Using scissor handles (round), press edges of filter in under the lips and the thickness should hold it there fine.

IF not (rare), drill a small hole in each corner of lips and run small wire in an X shape tightly to hold in place (rare).

Best to get two filters, remove dirty, replace with clean one every 30 days. You then have 30 days to get dirty one clean and ready with no down time of furnace.

Clean by soaking in warm water with liquid dish soap, rinse well and air dry.

They last 6 months to a year if cared for and cleaned as stated usually.

Clean coil, blower assembly and inside area of furnace once per year.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lilskye

Hi Robert:

Thanks for the response. My remaining questions are about the filters:

1.In looking at the pics (and at the unit I'm dealing with) I cannot see where on these A-coils there are any lips to insert a mesh filter - am I just not seeing them?

Can I order new mesh filters to go on these? Shouldn't these have filters to improve filtration? or do they really not matter?

2. Re: the foam filters - I am still confused as to which door panel this is supposed to go on. On my unit, it is filthy and in the door that is solid - not the one with grate openings - is this correct? It seems more logical to me that you would want air to filter through the foam filter as it passed through the rate - no?

Also - any idea what the foam filters (they look the same as the one in the solid door panel) are on the insides of the blower walls? Are these replaceable? They are also filthy, but they appear to be glued or permanently adhered to the sides of the blower walls - is this supposed to be this way?

It is good to know that I can clean the coils with something like a toilet brush - I was afraid I couldn't touch them really at all without damaging them. The ones on my unit aren't in that bad a shape - its more that the inside of the coil and blower area is full of dust, leaves and whatnot and I'm think that just vacuuming and replacing filters properly will do the trick.

Any advice you can give on the foam walls and filtering questions above would be great!

Thank you so much!!!

Debby
Robert

Hi Debby,

Use soft bristled toilet brush and brush up and down with the coil fins, never across.

Filter is hogs hair fibered, not foam.

It goes behind the upper louvered door.

Reread previous post to get info on that.

See where I stated some coils did not get the lips for the mesh filters. No way to use without them and I do not recommend using them anyway as explained earlier.

The hogs hair filter behind upper door protects the a-coil.

That is NOT a filter on solid door or sides of furnace, it is insulation to retain heat. It can be replaced, when calling about hogs hair filters at number I gave, ask about that as well.

It may not be available any longer and/or may be pricey.

It is not on all furnaces and is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lilskye

Hi Robert:

Thanks so much for this help! One last question about the foam on the blower walls - these are truly filthy (covered in dust and possibly mold) - if I wanted to remove these, can I? They look almost like they're stuck on the walls (although the one in the solid door panel is totally removable.)

They also look like they have melted in one spot, revealing a yellow foam beneath the dark grey which is how I even knew they were foam!

If I can remove these and they are unnecessary, that would likely be best, just because they are so dirty - I can't imagine this is good to be recirculating in the house!

Many thanks for this forum - for those of us who are new to mobile homes, this is a God send!

Best,

Debby
Robert

Hi Debby,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Yes, you can remove them. They help somewhat with insulation and also with sound dampening.

It is an add-on that can be purchased at time of furnace buy or later on, as in your case.

Most do not get them however.

I have a double and a single wide and neither have it on them.

The website/forums belong to Mark.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert