installing a ceiling fan in the ceiling with no exposed cord

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tweedledum47

Has anyone installed a ceiling fan in the ceiling and hidden the cords in the ceiling and down the inside to a receptacle without damaging the ceiling or wall panels? The ceiling is the soft tile stuff that extends from wall to wall with plastic strips on the seams :? :? and the wall is paneling. There is no electrical light in the ceiling.
Greg

Hi & welcome. It can & has been done. It usually is not a quick & easy job since there is usually no clear path from the wall to the ceiling with out drill a hole in the top of the wall plate. Unless you are willing to undertake the job I would contact an electrician and get an estimate. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Is the ceiling vaulted or flat? Bedroom or Living Room? You say to a receptacle, I'm assuming you mean pulling power from the receptacle but having a switch above it?

The first thing that I pictured with your description, was a plug poking out of the wall at the receptacle and plugged into it. :lol:
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
tweedledum47

Thanks for replying. The ceiling is flat and my concern was that the cord not show at all from the ceiling fan to the wall receptacle. My mother insists that her fan was put in where there was no overhead electrical light and no cord shows at all. Considering there was no damage to the ceiling "tile" which is the soft fibered material extending from wall to wall separated by the plastic strips I cannot see how it was done. My experience with plastic strips is that they become brittle with age and they can no longer be purchased if you break one.
Clyde
Brenda (OH)

there are casing that can be applied to the ceiling for the wires to run in, they are not so bad looking.... maybe get a piece of it to show your mother, the wire doesn't "show" it is in the casing, and maybe she will accept that? can you place the casing running along a joint to be able to fasten to the joist?

Brenda (OH)
tweedledum47

Thanks, I have used that in the past but I have been overruled on that so it is on all-or-nothing solution.
Brenda (OH)

if the ceiling fan is out.....

I have a great vertical fan that takes up very little space. (I think they are called tower fans)

about 12 inch square base, it is between 2 to 3 ft tall, it can turn from side to side or stay in one spot, and it has its own remote control or you can push the buttons... it moves a fair amount of air. it also had a sleep timer on it!

I think I paid 30 dollars for it... I bought it because i was too busy/lazy to install a ceiling fan one summer.... It has lasted 2 summers so far, but i only used it at night.

Brenda (OH)