lights dimming

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

need to know if it is something to be concerned about, noticed mostly at night , that the lights in the house seem to surge in brightness, i,ve checked somethings that might have been on that circut but nothing seems to be effecting it, aside from my eletric space heaters which i've unplugged the only thing that seems to cycle is my frig. is it my eletrical in the home or is met ed playin with the power level? p.s. all responses will be considered as hear say, some more credible that others, :roll: :lol: i've been useing certain outlets for the a/c and use them for the heaters so the breakers are able to handle the load and the circut is by it self,as well as the frig has it's own.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Joe, if you are in a park, have the service checked. In our park we have had problems with the disconnect boxes outside as well as the underground wires. I had to have our service replaced last year after the neutral started to arc to the ground on the park's side. I know it makes no sense that the neutral would arc to ground but it was happening.

I have also had to replace the connection lugs inside the boxes that had arched & burned. Remember to shut the line down before reaching in the box to check things out. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

hm burned lugs i did have one circut burn at the breaker. wich propmted me to separate more of the circuts feeds. this was 2 years ago but worth cking out , it only seems to be the over head ceiling lights and one table lamp and the porch light. figureing these are all in the same circut,this problem been going on for months but now it's really bothersome seems like some one put a christmas light flasher bulb in my lighting circut of the house.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
bobfather99

Be VERY careful with electricity. My Dad is a retired electrician, he likes to tell people, "Know when you're over your head" when you deal with electronics/wiring. Don't be afraid to get some good advice before getting too deep.

Please be careful!!!
Bob
Tip your bartender.....
JD
Site Admin

Great advice, Bob.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

thanks greg,bob,and jd , i know about getting over your head, i'm very carefull, which is why i ask for advice on here. you guys are great like i said befor , no bull and practical,useful info. i think i found the cause, my son had plugged a electric heater into an outlet we didn't usually use ,plus the thermostat on the unit was faulty, would keep turning on and off. the sudden load of the high amps acted like a solenoid kicking on and off. trashed the heater and problem seems to be gone.
bobfather99

Those space heaters can cause trouble, they draw high amps and can kick breakers(or worse!!).
Glad it was an easy problem to solve. I knew a guy that tore into his wiring in his double-wide(flickering lights), only to find the problem was on the park's side.
Tip your bartender.....