Kitchen sink gurgles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gchart57

The kitchen sink gurgles when the toilet is flushed. There is a vent on the roof above the bathroom and there is an under the counter vent in the kitchen I unscrewed the vent and tested it and it works, if I leave the vent off when the toilet flushes there is no noise. I added an additional vent under the bathroom sink but the kitchen drain still gurgles. Is there anything else that I could do. The only thing for me to do may be to go up on the roof and check the house vent I can see it from the ground and it does have a cover over it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
1987Commodore

It sounds like there is an issue with the bathroom vent stack. Normally they are not covered, just a straight pipe up through the roof.
gchart57

I have to get up there and check it, that may be the issue. They are all capped on all the units here
Greg

A full cap or a weather protector type cap?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gchart57

It's a weather protector cap but that doesn't mean bee's or something haven't buit a nest in there.
gchart57

fixed this also with a top of the line sturdy vent $23.00 from home depot.
gchart57

after a day the sturdy vent did not make a difference still gurgles.
Greg

Did you run a snake through it?
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

It sounds to me like the problem is the breather cap in the kitchen. It should be a screw on part, so you could replace it with a new one. If that does not fix the problem, you could take it back.

A 1 oz lead fishing weight or huge threaded nut on a strong line (SpiderWire? Dyneema?) might be able to tell you if you have a clog in the vent pipe. A small hand held snake (1/4" x 25') costs about $20 and would be good for any DIY home owner to have.

Plumbing vents on a mobile home rolled metal roof (factory metal roof) should have a vent cap. Shingle and rubber roofs usually do not.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gchart57

no snake yet just waiting to get up on the roof
gchart57

REPAIRED, THERE WAS ONE TWO MANY TRAP UNDER THE KITHEN SINK WHICH WAS STARVING THE PIPE FOR AIR. DONE THANK GOD!