Blower motors on intertherm furnaces/ not powerful enough

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

MsLilly

I have an 1988 mobile home with a Nordyne, Intertherm furnace. I moved in, in 2001 and had to have my furnace fixed twice. Both times it was because the fan kept turning on and off and it took forever to heat up the house. Well, after getting ripped off the first time for $325.00, I decided to see if I could get someone I know to look at it. Turns out my friends husband is an electrician and a kind of handyman, so he looked at it. The blower motor was no good and was heating up, so it would cut out so as to not burn down my house. The guy that fixed it for me, put a cheap $49.00 motor in the blower which couldn't do the job. Bob put a larger motor and attached a capacitor to it and now it runs like a charm. lt turns on and stays on until the temp set on the thermostat is reached. I hope this helps someone because the on and off was driving me crazy, not to mention costing me a small fortune in energy. Happy Heating!
Robert

Hi,

I hope he put in a Manufactured Housing rated motor. MH ducts are smaller than conventional homes and cannot handle regular motors.

EVERY furnace has a rated motor and that is the only motor that should be in there.

You also must have a certain cfm, not over or under, or the furnace could become damaged.

Being a good electrician in no way qualifies you to replace blower motors in furnaces unless you have been trained in that type HVAC service.

He may be or may have received help in getting correct motor, but to say getting a good electrician and putting in a bigger motor is not a good solution .

The ramifications if the wrong motor is installed will be very costly.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?