Intertherm FEH-017HA Problem wouldn't turn on/won't turn off

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

natew73

Been having problems with Intertherm FEH-017HA . At first, a few weeks ago, it wouldn't come on. Messed with it and found out that when I pulled the safety disconnect and put it back in, it would work again. It worked most of the time but sometimes I had to pull the disconnect again to get it to turn on and work properly. It would cycle off and on as long as I kept the thermostat a little higher than I usually keep it. Yesterday, I heard some kind of sound from the heater (don't know how to explain it) then the blower came on and I smelled a REALLY STRONG electrical burning smell from the vents. The smell lasted for only a few mins but the heater kept running and putting out heat. NOW, the heater won't turn off. I turn the thermostat all the way down and it still runs. The only way I can turn it off is to pull the safety disconnect. It still puts out heat, it just won't turn off. If anyone could help me, it'd be really appreciated. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded. I've been laid off for 5 months and hate the idea of calling a repair man. That's why I didn't do anything when it first started messing up. Many thanks in advance
Nate
Robert

Hi Nate,

Have you removed the disconnect pull and the fuses and looked it over good ? Also remove controls area cover and inspect wires and sequencer for burnt signs.

This could be a combo of problems.

Most likely a bad sequencer and possibly wiring and disconnect too.

Getting this repaired completely is very important due to fire hazard.

Bright light and thorough inspection with power off is first step.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
natew73

i opened the door. pulled the fuses. the fuses test okay with my meter. There is continuity through the fuses. If the fuse is bad, it shouldn't have continuity right? I looked at all the wiring and everything inside and didn't see any burned places or melted wires. the sequencers didn't look burnt. I did smell the bunt smell when i opened the door. i couldn't see behind the disconnect but visually, I don't see anything burnt.
Robert

Remove disconnect if need be, that smell needs to be found as it is in line with electrical shorts or overheating.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?