Coleman QED2 troubles

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

opie77

I have a Coleman QED2 condenser. Lately when t gets hot outside, I hear the fan motor kick on, then 2-3 seconds later the compressor kicks on with a loud groaning sound. I replaced the capacitors to the compressor last week. I'm not sure if they were wired right in the first place. Hoping it will fix the groaning.

One large cap has a heavy brown wire one side, and a small red wire to the other side that jumps over to a second smaller cap. On the same terminal as the small red wire on the large cap is another small red wire that runs to the contactor. Is this right?

The smaller cap only has one wire hooked up and it just jumpers over to the larger cap.

Also I noticed if I spray water at the condenser on hot days it doesn't groan or lag behind the fan motor. At night it acts fine.

I cant find any serial numbers. The plate that looks to have the info has weathered and is unreadable.
All I can make of it is 230v and its a Coleman QED2.

Thanks for any help!
opie77

Well, I wired it like I thought it should go and the compressor wouldnt start. So it must be wired right.

But whats odd is after it sat for a half hour while I posted this, It started right up with no groan.

Lemme guess, its going out on me?
Robert

It was probably out on internal overload which is either a bad compressor or maybe a dirty condenser.

I would call a Tech to be sure.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?