Frozen condensate drain

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Pete

Hello,

I have a Miller / Nordyne 90+ eff. heater in my house that seems to have a problem draining. When the weather gets really cold (zero right now) the drain freezes shup and water gets into the combustion box! It almost seems a design flaw that this thing doesn't tie into the sewage. The drain consists of 5/8s neoprene fuel line connected to a piece of pvc and stuck through the floor. There's a trap inside the furnace compartment which I guess keeps the fumes from escaping.

Does anyone have any tips on fixing this problem ? Is it OK to tie into the sewage, or is that water pretty poisonous ? That stupid drain seems to be the weakest link in the chain.

Pete
Robert

Hi Pete,

On stuff like this, I have found it is good to go right back to manufacturer and see what they suggest.

Call Nordyne, explain what you said here and see what their thoughts are.

I haven't dealt with this problem yet, but if I had, that is what I would have done and always do in those cases.

A lot of times you'll find they have already addressed that issue and have a good solution.

I look at those this way, they designed it that way, allow them to correct it ONCE.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Pete

Thanks Robert,

I'll contact them and pass the info on..

I wrapped the drain in heat tape and that seems to be holding up for now. I might add that we live on the top of the second snowiest hill in NY state, so we're a little colder than the average bear!

Pete
Robert

Hi Pete,

You're very welcome, happy to help. That sounds good and the heat tape was an idea I had along with insulation.

Would love to hear if they have had any complaints enough to make a move on it themselves.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Pete

OK Here's the fix -- I got this from the manufacturers dealer.

1. Drill a 1 1/4" hole where the existing 5/8 drain pipe is.
2. Put a 1" PVC pipe through the hole and cap with a Tee.
3. Snake the 5/8 flexible drain hose through one side of the T and through the floor.
4. Secure the pipe with aerosol foam insulation.

This allows pressured warm air from near the furnace to blow down the pipe through the open side of the Tee and keep the flexible ice free. In extreme weather where it may still freeze you can thaw it from inside by shooting hot air down the pipe with a hair dryer or put a 2-3 foot section of roof de-icing cable inside the pipe.

Pete
Robert

Hi Pete,

LOL, well allrighty then. I'll try to remember all that if/when I run a call for that problem which hasn't happened as of yet.

Thanks,
Robert