Intertherm....problems

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sfd_324

I have a single package unit outside, when the temps are down, I used to be able to manually turn on the "emergency heat" , now when i do it it starts to blow colder air than before.

In normal mode, it seems to be running fine......what gives?

also, is the light for emergency heat supposed to come on when you increase the thermostat for more heat? It does not now, & never has!

To end this question, I had to have a tech come out & replace some duct work & he cleaned the coils inside with water....washed them out.....any of these problems could have arose since he came or does it sound like it has had problems all along.....with how things are wired/working?

Thanks
Tim
tritontr

There are several things that happen when you switch to emergency heat. First your compressor and outdoor fan(not your indoor blower) should shut off and stay off the entire time you have it in the emergency heat mode. Second your heat strips and indoor blower should cycle together when ever your t-stat calls for heat unless you have your fan switch on the t-stat in the "on" position instead of auto. If you have cold air when you are in the Em.HT mode your problem could be with the heat strips, contactor or seqencer, your t-stat and any wiring connecting any of these devices. As for the Em-Ht light some t-stat require an additional wire to illuminate the bulb and that wire may not be there or improper wiring of the t-stat may have occurred. There are so many t-stats you can use it's hard to tell without the wiring diagram for your particular stat.
Robert

Hi Tim,

Cleaning the A-Coil inside with use of water is fine, but can ruin contactors, sequencers and heat strips if not real careful.

I'm suspecting that it shuts down compressor and condenser fan and you get the blower, but no heat strips, thus reason for colder air due to now having no heat input.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sfd_324

I'll try to pull it apart this weekend & see what i can find out...

Thanks for the input!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?