T3BA-030K Not Coming On

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

3-Fan

Hi, I have a T3BA-030K heat pump and just noticed last night that it is not coming on after the electric furnace kicked on and it was 50 degrees out. I replaced the defrost board earlier this year as I was having the same issue at the beginning of the heating season. The new defrost board took care of any issues I was having. Now, it is acting the same way. The blower runs on the furnace, but the heat pump will not come one. I check all the breakers to no avail.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Greg
Robert

Hi Greg,

Are you getting 24vac to the contactor side coil terminals ?

24vac across them and 24vac from one side to ground.

IF so, is the bar in middle of contactor pulling in ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
3-Fan

Thanks for the info Robert. I haven't checked anything out yet as it was 11 pm when I noticed this. Could you explain how I might check what you mentioned?

I bought a new contactor from you too, but haven't installed it as the defrost board took care of the issue the first time.

Greg
3-Fan

Robert,

Since I had that new contactor here, I installed that tonight. I then checked what you asked.

I have 24vac from post T1 to ground and also from T1 to T0.

And the middle of the contactor is pulling in.

Anything else I need to check?

Thanks,
Greg
Robert

Hi Greg,

Look on the sides of contactor and you'll see a double terminal on each side with a small wire to each.

One meter lead on each should read 24vac.

Then, one meter lead to one and other lead to ground.

Do that on both sides.

One side to ground should read 24vac and the other side to ground should read 0vac.

IF middle bar is pulling in and you have the 24vac, is the condenser compressor and fan motor running now ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
3-Fan

Robert,

Between the double terminals on the contactor I have 24vac.

From the right double terminal to ground I have 0vac.

From the left double terminal to ground I have 24vac.

And yes the contactor bar pulled in.

Nothing is running on the heat pump. Only the inside the house blower fan is running.

So what does that mean?

Thanks,
Greg
Robert

Hi Greg,

Look at contactor, two large wires at top and two at bottom.

One set comes from incoming power wires to unit.

Other set goes to compressor.

Test across both sets WITH bar pulled in for 240vac.

Thanks,
Robert