Miller CMF65-PG-DI: accessing ignitor

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jackofnone

It's the propane fear that stops me from trying any DIY inside my furnace, but a solid day online has a)informed me that this is actually a simple (not to mention economic) task, unfortunately b)I've yet to find an image, diagram, schematic or text explanation (including the utubes) to clarify where the Miller ignitor is?

I assume it's behind the "venturi" weldment (with the manifold tube connecting down from the valve), that is: inside the cylinder housing the heat spreader, cone & tube weldment? But unscrewing this assembly, with that rigid manifold pipe that needs to be loosened to swivel out of the way in order to pull the venturi section out to ACCESS this thing seems considerably more complex than the "1 minute job" involving "a single screw on a bracket" all the other sites imply? Though I'd want the ignition device perpendicular to (not parallel with) the incoming fuel flow--I see no other way to the chamber unless all the works stay put & I have to remove the panel which seems semi-sealed?

This is why I end up calling repairmen!? :roll:
Robert

Look at round plate behind gas valve. Find two wires coming out of hole in plate and going to a connector plug.

That is your ignitor wires. It is mounted on bracket beside venturi tube next to burner.

With your inexperience and fear/uncomfortable feelings, best to call an hvac tech and watch closely for future possible DIY.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jackofnone

TY Robert 4 reply confirming my suspicions (it's behind that 'venturi' cylinder cap) but the solution's still pending:

The rim of that round cap is connected by 2 nuts, but running through this lid's center is the intake pipe relaying the fuel from the valve above. This pipe is clearly threaded into that valve & rigid (very little play to work with)... in order the move the freed lid out of the way I'd guess you swivel the lid/pipe to the side, UNSCREWING it slightly from its threaded valve housing to do so?

Is THIS THE ANSWER? I just need to know that A)I'm not permanently unsealing the gas by loosening (then re-tightening) that pipe OR B)this is NOT the way to access the ignitor, there's some other means to remove the lid?
Robert

Go here and scroll down to Electronic Ignition Furnace and look at pic:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/articlefurnace.htm

Similar to what you have. Some come out like that, some swivel around.

Sometimes you leave gas valve and other times you remove it.

You always remove gas lines AFTER turning gas off.

No need to bother the orifice spud really.

Please call an hvac tech and learn safely for future DIY.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jackofnone

Robert:

Posted (& labeled) the burner assembly CMF65 schematic--it appears access requires removing the entire section [from the venturi burner tube (including the middle pipe/manifold weldment) to the gas valve] ...since I don't recall the repairman ever soldered this deconstruction back together, it must be safe to detach the gas line in from the GAS VALVE (once you turn the line in lever OFF)? AGAIN: or there is some simpler means to access?

http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu343/eye_fotos/
Robert

Orice spud threads into rear of gas valve.

Best to call an hvac tech at this time.

Thanks,
Robert