Electrical Panel Upgrade

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TappanTrailer

Another question on my mind....actually I just did a search, and saw that my own panel amperage is dependent on the park's main amps. How do I find out what the park's main amps are? Just ask, or look somewhere?

Has anyone here upgraded their electrical panel and/or had their whole house rewired?

Mine is a 1977, so I'm not concerned about having alum wiring, but I think I might be concerned about general overload because of all the "stuff" we have now, that wasn't around in 1977. Namely computers, etc.

Thoughts? And yes, I'm not looking for "how to" anything here...just what other's experiences are with the decisions made to upgrade, leave well enough alone, etc.

Tami
tritontr

You can ask the park personnel what size Main feeds each house. Typical answer would be 100,150, or 200 amp. This tells you how much amp load is available to you. The only way to tell what your actual load is on each circuit is to have an electrician come out and with a device commonly called an "amprobe" test each one of your breakers or fuses in your main panel. Because of the cost of this meter plus the knowledge to do this safely I would again recommend an electrician be used.
Greg

If you have access to the panel, simply open the cover, the breaker rating is printed right in the breaker lever. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Your service meter also should have a main breaker that feeds your house. Like Gred described, breakers/fuses have their ampere rating printed on them.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Dean3

flcruising nailed it,there is an outdoor meter somewhere with a breaker that is marked.All I have to do is walk to it and flip the breaker to kill all power to My place. After You locate the meters they should be marked with a coresponding # for each lot and the amperage output of it is stamped on the switch.

My meter is 100amp so I was limited to a 100amp main in My new panel. I don't know if the elec company would upgrade My meter upon request or not,I suppose that might depend on the transformer and the # of residences it suplies.

Dean