Roof Jack-major probs.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tinyone

Hi again. Ok. I had an adjuster out. I thought there's something wrong w/RoofJack, was getting rain in, TG it didn't hurt the furnace. YET.
So, my plain is to tarp it for now during rain. Adjuster says RJ is ok, but something about ice damn, I just can't remember. Anyway, we've been having above 40's weather, & this weekend is supposed to be raining. So, any help/advice etc. is always appreciated, sorry I don't have pics. Where it was leaking was on the inside by that cylanderal metal thingie that come out the top of the furnace. I did use some heavy duty putty, but the rain came in still, not heavy, but around the metal thing, & the drywall square around it. Thanks, ppl :wink:
tinyone

Can someone help me out w/this? thank you
Yanita

What type of roof do you have. Sounds as though it may be leaking around the roof jack. Ice dams are created from having a dip in the roof. The sealant you use is dependent upon the roof type.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

If it happens when it's raining, then it's not an ice damn because there'd be no ice. Ice damning is when snow/ice on the roof, warms then refreezes at the eaves. It eventually starts backing up under the shingles and leaking inside.

Sounds like you have a roof leak from a penetration of some sort. Have you been up top yet?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
tinyone

Yanita wrote:What type of roof do you have. Sounds as though it may be leaking around the roof jack. Ice dams are created from having a dip in the roof. The sealant you use is dependent upon the roof type.

Yanita
well, i was up there yesterday. roof has black flat tar-like shingles. there are gaps around the RJ I tarped it so far so good, I have no heat, it has to be off :(