Double Blinking Status Light

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

webwzrd

I woke up this morning and found my Nordyne Furnace trying to come on, but not igniting (or blowing of course) and with the status light blinking twice. I see that this indicates "Pressure Switch Stuck Open".

In the interest of full disclosure, last year I had what appeared to be a problem with the pressure switch where occasionally the furnace wouldn't come on. I discovered that if I unplugged one of the tubes, it would work. So this year I have kept that tube off.

Now this morning I'm back to no-go. I've read some of the posts here and noticed there are times when it could be something else (ie, bad circuit board, air leak). Is there anyway to test or by pass this pressure switch to verify that is what's wrong?

Nordyne G6RL-080C-16
webwzrd

My post got plenty of views, but no replies... no problem, I know how forums can be.

Thought I'd share the answer to my question of "Is there anyway to test or by pass this pressure switch to verify that is what's wrong?"

In my case the answer was YES, there is a way to test it. I had a company come out to service the unit and the fellow unplugged the tube from the front header box and blew into that end of the tube while switching the furnace on. It fired right up.

He then pointed out how tiny the hole was on the nipple that the tube plugs into and said it's common on Nordynes to get plugged or partial plugged there. He drilled the hole out a little bigger and I'm good to go.

It would have been a waste of my money to assume that the double flashing light, which indicates the pressure switch is stuck open, meant I needed a new pressure switch.
Robert

Hi,

More ways to test than that and altering or modifying the component is not the answer.

Been very busy, so forum answers may run a day or two behind, sorry for not being here sooner.

Also, never leave a tube unattached, renders safety feature useless that way.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
webwzrd

Robert,

Ok, so you're not buying the design flaw idea - that the hole was made too small, which I was told allows it to get blocked too easily.

What route would you have suggested?
Robert

Hi,

It's not that I don't buy it, but too often techs try to determine faults w/o testing first and modify components which voids any warranties and can/often does change the design operation of furnace.

My steps would have been to completely test each phase to determine IF I felt that was a problem.

IF so, then get on the phone with Nordyne tech support for verification or for their suggestions.

IF that was done, well and good, if not, then I don't agree with that techs service methods.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
webwzrd

Robert,

I'm sure you realize I'm not defending the service rep, just passing along my experience and sharing what he said.

I spoke with him quite a bit and he told me that this is a problem he first came across a number of years ago. Although I can't tell you what steps he took to finally arrive at the solution he's now using. I do remember him saying he used a more conservative approach to get the tube flowing again, only to be called out to the same customers house the next year with the same problem. It's now been three years since he slightly enlarged the hole for that customer and he's never had a problem since.

He also said that in his experience, only the Nordynes have a hole this small on the front header box side of the tube. In addition, the hole is close to the water drain tube and subjected to particles floating closely by.

At any rate, I'm up here in Minnesota and as you might imagine this time of the year, a fast fix was certainly appreciated.
Robert

Hi,

I understand completely and as I said, not against the method if came to in correct manner.

Also, never doing it if the unit is still under warranty.

Also, yes, you definately need it working where you live.

I do same type stuff myself, but also must follow certain pathways to get there.

One good way is complaining to Nordyne and often getting a design change.

Enjoy the warmth. :wink:

Thanks,
Robert
tritontr

I will have to agree 100% with Robert. There is a lot of quick fixes on HVAC equipment that as service techs we hear about from other techs and not from the factory. However every piece of equipment that is manufactured is submitted to meet certain safety standards. No tech should ever alter a safety componet without a tech bulletin or written notice from the manufacturer. Like Robert said there is a procedure to have a device improved upon by going thru the manufacturer, in fact that is where most of the suggestions for improvements on equipment comes from. Your service tech may have had authorization from Nordyne to do what he did but without knowing that I would not want someone to read this post and get out a drill and alter a safety device. I hope this doesn't sound to harsh webwzrd not meant to be.