Bathroom floor uneven

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

xvwowxv

Hello everyone! We just purchased a 1984 Redman on the river! Anyway we have a question. The bathroom was redone by the previous owner in 2000, but I notice when you enter the bathroom the floor is uneven!

There are no soft spots that I an tell, and the underbelly seems to be in good condition. What could be causing this? I will have more info in a few days just wanted to see some speculation from the masters of the trade!
JD
Site Admin

If the entire floor is a little higher than the floor leading into the bathroom, the floor has an underlayment under the vinyl flooring. If it is just a section inside the bathroom, with straight abrupt edges, it is a repair job that could have been done better. If it is like a thin line going across the floor, the repaired section was put in without a gap for expansion and as the wood swelled, it pressed the edges together. Those would be my first thoughts anyway. Maybe there are some other ideas coming.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
xvwowxv

no thin lines, when you walk in from the hallway to the bathroom it feels higher, than on the right side of the bathroom it gets lower again.
Rod

Hello!

I too think it could be a repair job that was not done proper.

Might be worth a look from underneath. You could cut a small flap in the belly pan to get a visual on the underside of the floor. Just make sure you have some Flex-mend or another way to seal it up correctly.

Rod
Brenda (OH)

maybe they did not match up the subfloor thicknesses.

or when they put the 2 x4 egde board on the walls, they did not get it high enough, and the floor slants down to that edge rim on that side of the bathroom (the new subfloor patchs sits on it). I have had that happen despite my best efforts. at least the floor is solid when I get done, if not level....lol

or they did not put the helpful/needed board at the wall edges, and the floor is floating at the edges. you would notice give in the floor when you step on it nea r the wall

I also find that that folks did not add pieces underneath at the edges to connect the new subfloor patch to the existing floor, and the floor will bounce/give at the seam.

those are my guesses... based on frustrating floor redoing experiences

Brenda (OH)