Nordyne S3QA outside unit will not start

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

legg595

92 degrees outside today and my outside unit will not kick on!! No problem with the inside unit- except it doesnt do me any good if the outside unit isnt working too! lol The only problem I have ever had until now is last summer when the new puppy decided to use the wires as a new chew toy. We had it rewired and everything was fine yesterday. Today is another story! I'm spoiled I guess- I don't know how people survive without AC!!

This unit is about 10 years old. This past winter I had to have the motor replaced in the E2E series furnace.

I looked at the unit- everything looked like it did last summer. I tried a good pep talk- it didn't work! :o
Is it possible there is a blown fuse or something?? :? Is it hot as heck in this house!!

Thanks in advance for any help!! 8)
Robert

Hi,

IF nothing is working outside, remove control panel and see if contactor middle bar is being pulled in with t-stat calling for cooling.

Either the contactor is bad or you aren't getting power to unit is two most likely problems.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
legg595

Hi Robert! Thanks for helping! The contactor is not pulling in- it will work if I push it in manually. I am so mad- the AC tech can not get here until Friday even though I have a contract that is supposed to give me priority 24/7/365 service!
I'm sure I know the answer to this :lol: but, can I rig the contactor to stay in until it is fixed by the tech??
Thanks!
Robert

Hi,

Is it a home warranty contract or a PM Contract with an hvac contractor ?

LOL, nope, can't rig cause it will burn it up to keep it running and if not making good contact.

Look on sides of contactor, see two smaller wires, one on each side going to the back of contactor coil terminals.

Take a meter with inside t-stat set to cool-auto-65* for a call for cooling.

Place red meter lead on one of those wires and black meter lead to a good unpainted ground.

Then do same to other wire and test both for 24VAC.

Then, place a meter lead to each wire at same time and get reading across them.

Let me know what ya got.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?