garden tub into a shower?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

butcherooney

My 30 year old mobile home master bath has a garden tub. It also has one of those "phone booth" sized showers which we hate. What does anyone think of making the garden tub into a combo tub/shower? I would have to run a water line to a shower head and install a tub surround to make it work as well as a shower curtain/shower door. Dumb idea? What about removing it completely and starting over?
Yanita

Hi,

You can do either or. My last home had a garden tub which was a complete waste and it was already a shower/tub combo.

Many here have done complete bath renovations.

If you choose to remove either the shower or the tub what ever you purchase to replace it with make sure that you can get the unit through all doors, around corners and hallways.

If your floors seem weak in any areas or you have reason to believe that there maybe floor damage I would opt for a complete renovation and make sure everything is right before proceeding. LOL, seems I always take the more challenging and expensive route. BUT, you said your home was 30 years old so I am to "assume" that you may have alterations in place that you are unaware of.

There are many great pics and threads about this please make sure to look at pics and check out the threads.

Welcome to the site.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Johnny

I think your plan would work very well remember to caulk all seams and get a curved shower curten rod to keep water in tub.
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
JD
Site Admin

You may be able to find a selectable diverter to a hand shower unit and install the hand mount to the wall for use as a showerhead. This would allow you to use both the bath and shower.

The deck mount garden tub faucets won't have a diverter feature. You could leave that faucet in place and "T" off the plumbing to go to a standard shower faucet plumbing.

The shower wall could be a problem too. If the depth of the garden tub is over 36", it will be real hard to find a reasonable priced wall kit. Most 60" wide wall kits are made to fit 30"-32" tubs. You could call the seamless shower wall people, they could fix you up pretty nice. You could also use flat wall panels, like the Thrifty Tile Board panels from Lowe's or other home stores. Of course for a zillion dollars and 82 cents you can go with Swanstone or Corian.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rreed

we had a huge corner garden tub and the tiny shower too... but we ripped it all out and replaced it with a BIG shower and a regular width, but deep, tub.. makes the bathroom look HUGE and we love it.. bought it all at Lowes! :D
janet eades

My husband has taken out our shower stall to make a larger closet and is in the process of turning the garden tub into a shower/ tub combination. It is coming along and we added new tile on the floor. :P