Removing old exterior windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rickoliss

I am uncertain as to how to go about removing the old windows or framing from the outside window casment must I remove the siding or do they push out from the inside to out some how with out touching the siding, the inside window is self explainatory as there are screws around the metal frame. I dont see any screws holding it. I plan or have new pella windows to replace them with. let me see if I can figure out how to post a few pics thxs in advance Rick in Weedsport NY 93 Pine Grove dble wide
Greg

Rick, if this is a standard trailer window just remove the million and a half screws (OK, 20 - 30)on the outside window frame and pry the window out. You will find that the weatherstrip that is usually there holds more than the screws.

If you have never done this job before, give yourself plenty of time to do the first one, I would plan on a day to allow for any problems such as reframing time.

Keep weather in mind, trust me when I tell you that there is nothing worse than having a 4' hole in the wall and a down pour coming like we have had the past few days. . Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rickoliss

I dont know Im still scratchin my head, I dont see any weatherstripping of any kind on these windows. my windows the top pane is stationary the bottom goes up and down in its track, there is no way of removing the window out of the track to replace cracked or damaged glass. I had to take measurements remove old damaged glass get new cut an replaced it while still in the track.
as for how these things would ever pivot out incase of fire is beyond me (Egress windows)
I m still think I gota remove the vinyle siding,because the siding butts into the window frame channel , and when you push the siding in next to the window frame you can sorta kinda see the window frame flange behind the siding. I tried up loading pics to my profile but the files were to large an microsoft wants me to pay$150.00 for the programs on this new laptop that the trial period has run out on (to resize photos to post) anyways thanks for the help Greg yea always got a keep and eye on the sky now a days at this point Im only try to see how muc of a project this is going to be replaceing one window at a time as I will need a village permit to work on the front of the house or street side. thxs again Rick http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide ... terior.htm
Greg

Sounds like you're down on West Brutis, if you want, give me your address and I'll stop by and take a look. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rickoliss

Wow that be great, to bad I didnt see this sooner as I was busy mowing an doing other things before the rain started, well it's just past 630pm and is its raining so I dont think now is a good time. But if you have time during the week Ill be home most of the day the whole week. Rick

[Post edited]
Lorne

When they pulled out my old bedroom window they twisted and yanked to break the caulking seal.
As the window twisted it SHATTERED and shot BIG HUNKS of glass all over and one shot into the floor and stuck.
WOW. be careful, use Duct Tape and wear sleeves and glasses.
Just a thought.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.