Intertherm furnace/AC/thermostat problem, help!

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

radioempty

I'm not the most DIY-inclined person, but this problem is really stumping me...

I've got an Intertherm FEH-015HA-03 installed in my mobile home, and I just installed a programmable thermostat in my home, replacing the old mercury one. For the first 36 hours it was running great. Once I knew it was running smoothly, I mounted the plate to the wall.

That's when I heard the pop. The A/C kicked on for a split second, then I heard a pop coming from the otherside of the house where the furnace and circuit breaker are located. The switches didn't flip, but now nothing is turning on.

However, when I flip the switch for the fan on directly at the furnace, it will turn on.

What could possibly have caused this to happen? And what can I do or check to fix it?
Robert

Hi,

A shorted wire at t-stat or inside the furnace maybe. You would have to start at transformer and test circuit, one component at a time.

How many wires were connected to the old t-stat ?

Did you get a battery operated programmable t-stat ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
radioempty

I was thinking there was a short, I'm trying to dig up my voltmeter to test it out.

As I said, I'm not the most DIY-inclined, so how would I go about testing the transformer and circuit?

I'm looking at the old thermostat now, and it has 9 wire hookups, but the wires at the wall only have 8.

It is a battery operated thermostat, it's a Honeywell RTH7000.

Here's how I have it hooked up now:

C - black
G - green
Y - yellow
W - white
R - red
Y2 - orange
W2 - no connection (don't know the wire color to hook up to this)
L - brown

The only wire I don't have connected is a blue one.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachment ... 20ones.pdf - this is the manual i used to help connect it. (I forgot to label the wires)
Robert

Is your a/c unit a heat pump ?

If you do not know how to test the circuit, then best to call an hvac tech out. Just testing across wrong two wires can create another short and end up blowing entire low voltage circuit.

That would be a costly repair. The tech can ensure it is correct type t-stat and ensure all wires are correct and also locate and repair any short.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?