thumping when furnace lights

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

john37

My name is John and this is my first post. Guess you don't realize a sight like this exist until you need it and google it. :D

A bit early maybe, but why wait till Winter. For some time now (a few yrs) when my furnace lights, it has a kind of thumping noise as it heats. Normal, no. I was told by a friend that it is starting with a full ignition and should not. It should start with a slow ignition and as it heats up it then should continue to a full ignition.

As summer comes I tend to forget about what it does, until I turn it on for the first time for the cold season and then I remember it. (duh) Bad time to tear it apart to fix. He said I needed to replace some valve (or something) that controls this. Any idea what that would be and do you have it or know where to get it?

I have an Interthrem Heat Rite, Model MGH-100-ABWN-05

This unit is 21 years old. Was thinking that maybe this would be a good time to replace it as I'm concerned with it's age and the problem it has, that it could eventually crack the fire chamber. Am I right or not? Thanks for any help.
Powder Paint and Ceramic coating is my game.
Robert

Hi,

A lot of older mobile home furnaces had step gas valves. That could be part or all of te problem.

However, with a 21 year old gas furnace and this problem, I would have an hvac tech check it for safety.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
john37

Lets just say that it is determined that the furnace is getting to the point of being unsafe, what would be a good replacement. Coleman or some other brand. I can get a Coleman 90,000 btu for around $900.00.

Also would 90,000 btu's be overkill for 1300 sq ft? I was told that 77,000 would do fine. I have a 100,000 now (Itertherm) and it seems to do okay. Sometime I feel like it runs a bit to often, but that may just be me.
Thanks, John
Robert

Hi John,

Because we sell parts for all, we do not recommend any one brand. They all have good and not as good points and each has given great performance.

Get a reputable hvac contractor who deals with mobile home units and have a ACCA Manual J Load Calculation done to know correct size.

Then research and do your homework plus ask questions to the contractor about what best suits your needs.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
john37

Okay and thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert