Spray entire home w/ foam spray insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

I've only the living room and bathroom left in my renovation- I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I forgot to insulate! I didn't insulate the bedrooms, 1 bathroom, the hallway! I did these in the spring/summer and didn't even think about it. And w/ all the moldings/tin ceiling...I don't want to rip everything down.

How about spray foam insulation? Seen it on HGTV where they take a wall and spray it and then put up the sheetrock or whatever...can this be done in the reverse?

I plan on 'refacing' the mobile home (gonna leave the current siding and do brick or stone) ....can I spray the exterior of the home to insulate it?

Anyone ever done this or know anything about it?
Greg S

No spray foam insulation is not suitable for insulating the exterior of a home. What you need to do is add rigid foam board insulation to the exterior walls before residing.
It comes in 4X8 sheets in various thicknesses, R values, from 3/4" up to 2" thick.
The old siding should be removed first to achieve the best possible results.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

I would guess that what you saw on TV was a professionally applied foam. They use a spray gun & 5 gal. buckets of foam and spray 12" - 18" width at a time. It would take cases of cans of foam to do a wall your self. I would either stick with fiberglass or rigid foam. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

The spray foam in the cans is only a 1/2 lb. foam. The ones on TV for the whole house is a 2 lb. foam, professionally applied. There are kits (tiger foam is one I think), but they are expensive. The brand name of the pro applied foam (in Canada) is Walltight. It is probably the best way to insulate as it seals the home air tight, getting into all the nooks and crannies. It MUST be covered with non flammable material as it gives off noxious gasses when burning. You may also have to get a mechanical air exchange system to regulate the fresh air and humidity in the home. It makes it like living in a styrofoam cooler.
Brenda OH

would blow in insulation work in mobile home exterior walls? they make holes in the wall, and pump the chopped up insulation in from the bottom until it fills the void up to the top of the wall. this type of insulation does not expand, and would be less likely to blow out paneling, door frames, etc

I have seen it on home improvement shows, and they say the machines are rented at some home improvement stores....

Brenda
flcruising

Brenda,
That type insulation is cellulose. The problem with retrofit installation is voids. The rental equipment is rarely the type that has enough pressure to allow a dense-pack installation that is required to properly insulate closed walls. If you don't get that part right, then the insulation WILL settle, and create a void in every stud space around the whole perimeter of the house.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Personally I have never cared for blown in insulation. It is VERY messy if you ever have to open up the wall to do anything, the same holds true for the underbelly. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

I agree about the walls, but adding to my attic was a breeze compared to batts or blankets
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
GraceNC

Thanks for the advice. The blow in wouldn't work out well due to the voids.... it could catch on wiring or anything and I'd think it was full when it really wouldn't be.

I'd like to 'see' I'm insulated.

Yes, it's the kind that's professionally sprayed on with a wand...wouldn't even consider doing this with the can stuff. I used the canned stuff, called Great Stuff, around the windows, doors, and studs...then I put in the faced R-13 insulation.

But I'd just love it if it 'could' be done....spray the exterior walls ...that would be a nice feeling KNOWING I was insulated and bees couldn't get in.....maybe one day they'll make something.
blackchristian888

Great Forum!! I'm Cesar and I'm new here, just browsing for some good stuff and informative posts..