Nordyne heat constantly kicks off

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

brandonm_13

M1MC 090A BW

I have a Nordyne heater. Part of the time, the heater won't light apparently, because I notice it's not on and it has 4 blinnking red lights. Some of the time it lights and runs but the blower isn't working right. I"ve checked and the electronic ignition lights the pilot light. Then after a few seconds the fuel is pushed in and it lights. I will get a solid yellow light, and then after about 10 seconds the yellow light starts blinking. The flame keeps going until the blower starts. The instant the blower kicks on, the flame kicks off. After a few minutes it tries to kick on, but can't seem to stay on.
Brandon
Robert

Hi,

Check the main burner orifice to ensure there are no blockages such as a spider/web.

If ok and clear, then I would suspect the ignitor first and gas valve next.

The red blinking light is due to ignition failure and yellow blinking is due to weak flame.

You do not have a pilot light , the ignitor just ignites the gas as it comes through the burner.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
brandonm_13

I'll check that, but I've had nothing but problems with this unit since it was new 5 years ago.

One note about the pilot. I was watching this through the small flip cover at the front. I do have an electronic ignition that lights a pilot light. The pilot light stays lit for about 10 seconds before fuel is pushed through, which is then ingited by the flame. I don't know if it's not called a pilot light, but it's a small, eletconically lit flame that is about the same size as a cigarette lighter flame.

Anyway, I expect something els has gone bad. The first winter is the only winter I haven't had a problem with this unit.
Brandon
Robert

Hi Brandon,

Haven't checked, but you probably have a two step gas valve which opens at a low fire stage and then opens fully to full fire stage.

That would explain what you are seeing because there is no pilot or anything else for ignitor to light except the burner.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
brandonm_13

That sounds about right. Anyway, things have been hectic and I haven't had much chance to look at it, other than cleaning the filter. I'm suspecting the gas valve, since it burns until exactly when the blower kicks on. Of course there might be something wrong with the circuitry, but who knows. I'll be able to take a better look at it this weekend.
Brandon
Robert

Hi,

Sounds good, just let me know.

Thanks,
Robert