Nordyne furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

shellyjshay

Hello,

I have a Nordyne furnace with a standing pilot-the model # is MGHA075ABFC-01. in a 1992 model mobile home double wide.
My problem is:

I can light the pilot but right after the burner comes on for about 5 seconds the flame goes out. The pilot will stay on forever and a day until that burner comes on-then depending on the mood of the furnace it may or may not stay lit.
The gas valve has been replaced last year which did not fix the problem like the HVAC man said. The thermocoupler is ok-(after the flame went out it took about 50 seconds for the gas valve to shut off-the clicking noise) Have replaced the thermostat. Have made sure the gas tube is clear of any debris. Have vacuumed out the area where the burner is. Sometimes it will work fine but other times it just won't. It will come on and cycle for about 3-5 minutes and go off and come right back on-this will go on for quit a long time. When the house warms up and reaches temp-the next time the burner light it goes out again. This happens on windy days and on non windy days.

I have had at least 3 HVAC men out and they each have fixed something different-but the problem still remains.

Please help-I can not afford to replace the furnace.

Thank you for your help.

Shelly
Robert

Hi Shelly,

Has anyone inspected the roof-jack thoroughly ? With all that has been replaced and things stated by you, other than that, cannot help much further from here.

I would say you need a good, reputable hvac tech though because at least one of three should have resolved this issue.

Would need to inspect all gas pressures, voltages, combustion air, orifices, etc. to find problem.

I would replace the thermocouple as they can seem ok and not be and it is a fairly cheap try that could be problem here.

Roof-jack, new thermocouple and then if still unresolved, find a qualified hvac tech and do not allow them to come out until you are sure they are qualified.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
shellyjshay

Hey thank you for the reply.

I tried one other thing. After reading some other info on this forum-I tried leaving the little hinged door open with the end of a screwdriver bit that drills in screws on a drill-guess what since then the pilot has not gone out once and everything is working well....BUT-I know this is not safe. Any other suggestions?

I will have my husband look at the roof jack and see if he can see any obvious damage.

Thank you again. You have been helpful.

Shelly
Robert

Hi Shelly,

Inspect the roof-jack thoroughly. Also, inspect pilot burner, orifice and tubing thoroughly.

Combustion air intake may not be adequate.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
shellyjshay

So where might this air intake be located and what all does this entail?

Thanks again.
Robert

Hi,

The combustion air comes in through roof-jack in newer homes and through the floor under the furnace and home in some older models.

You can check roof-jack for blockages and damage, but will need an hvac tech to know if adequate combustion air is there throughout process.

Thanks,
Robert
shellyjshay

Awesome....

You have been a great help. If problems persist I will call on you again.

Shelly
Robert

Hi Shelly,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
shellyjshay

Hello once again....

I just wanted to ask a quick question.

When the furnace 1st comes on after being off for awhile-it will come on and blow hot air then it will go off and about 30 seconds later it comes on again then it will repeat this process over and over. This will go on for hours (I am sure this is not a good thing for the pocket book-as I have an electric payment and not a bill lol)

Thank you again for your help.

Shelly

P.S. Do you know of a good HVAC person around the Tulsa Oklahoma area that would know about my Nordyne Furnace?
bushman

hello shelley read about your problems does your furnace have a blower unit mounted inside the door on a pipe? if so i had a similair problem it was a combustion air problem caused by someone removing the combustion blower but they did not get a proper seal where the blower met the cabinet we resealed the connection and no problem for the last year hope this helps.
shellyjshay

Well my blower is inside the panel (a metal door like thing that come all the way off) but it is not mounted to a pole it sits on top of a metal box looking thing. The blower has not ever been undone from its original spot-or any other parts taken off the unit.

So how do you go about resealing anything? What type of material-I am so afraid of a house fire.

Thanks Shelly
shellyjshay

How do you check the combustion air thing? And where is it located? Is this the area between the roof and the top of the pipe from the heater going outside?

I am confused.
Robert

Hi Shelly,

Because the combustion blower and air switch are safety components and your inexperience with them, it would be best to call an hvac tech out to properly diagnose this situation.

Thanks,
Robert
shellyjshay

Cool-I greatly appreciate your help.

One more thing-do you know of any HVAC people in the Tulsa Oklahoma area who can properly diagnose my Nordyne furnace?

I have too many people come out charge me an arm and leg and then tell me "I don't have much experience with trailer homes."

Thank you again.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Shelly
Robert

Hi Shelly,

I sure don't, but check with friends, neighbors, BBB, local MH dealers, etc to find someone.

IF they do not repair it, do not pay them.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!

Thanks,
Robert