Nordyne FEBB-015HA Blower Motor, Intermittent

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mac2010

I've got a similar problem to the one that Ricky has just posted about.

The blower motor stopped running yesterday. I removed the cover from the AHU compartment, and it appeared that the heating elements were heating up, but the blower would not start. There was just a slight hum from the blower motor. I turned the switch on the T-stat to fan, and no fan. Also turned the rocker switch at the unit from auto to fan and no fan. Also spun the blower in the direction of rotation, no blower. Turned the power off to the unit and built a fire in the wood stove.

I started to try and check the unit out today, and the fan ran fine.

Turned the heat on, heard the click of the relay and a few seconds later the fan came on in low. When the T-stat was satisfied, the heating elements clicked off and a little while later the blower turned off.

I turned the T-stat to fan. The fan came on in high.

I turned the rocker switch at the unit to on, and the fan came on in high.

Electric furnace:

Model: FEBB-015HA
Serial: FEB9403-05742
"Multi-Speed Motor 3.0 FLA 1/3 HP"

Motor:

GE Motor
MOD 5KCP39GGF564AS

Black - Hi
Blue - Med Hi
Yellow - Med Lo
Red - Lo

Motor wiring:

The red and green wires are not used and are wire capped off.

Black wire to orange wire: 9.8 (on 200 ohm scale)
Black wire to yellow wire: 7.7 (on 200 ohm scale)
Orange wire to yellow wire: 8.2 (on 200 ohm scale)

The orange wire is connected to a device that projects into the heating element chamber.

The yellow and black wire are hooked to different terminals on a black plastic device mounted inside the wiring compartment.

The T-stat terminals on the blower assembly are not used. The quick disconnects are not used either. Everything inside the electric compartment on the blower assembly have been abandoned in place. All wiring connections are with wire nuts.

I'm going to clean up the blower and oil the motor.

Any idea what is causing the intermittent problem with the blower?

If it might be the T-stat, I still have the original Intertherm T-stat and could put that back on, but it has been on for a while and was working fine.

I would like to add a T-stat that has a circulate function that would run the blower on low speed periodically to circulate the heat from the wood stove. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for helping with this problem.

Mac
Robert

Hi Mac,

Wait and see if it does it again and if so, feel motor to see if it is hot. If not that, then could have an intermittent short somewhere.

Mark sells a t-stat with that feature, call him toll free at 1-877-263-7860 and see if it is wired to run in low speed for that.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?