Musty Odor Removal/Elimination??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dave1

In many older mobiles and RV's there is a stale, musty, offensive odor that I am assuming is an odor of mold and mildew from moisture being trapped inside or possibly an unknown leak whereas there is some damp/wet wood, carpet, insulation, etc..

If there is a leak with damp/wet wood, insulation, carpet, etc., that stuff would have to be removed, replaced, repaired, etc., but after repairs can the musty odor inside the home be completely removed and eliminated? If so, how?

Dave
Brenda (OH)

I am getting a lot of stale mildew odor in a home I am working on that has no underbelly, and holes in the floor under the carpet. I have the skirting opened up to try and dry out the ground, I am going to have to pitch the water more away from the home where the drip channels drop it right on the slab and it runs under the mobile home... I also am going to have to remove ceiling materials that are moldy....

odor reduction.... get things dry, get moldy materials removed... then perhaps use febreze type products or ionizing air cleaner.... reduce all moisture sources, be sure there is a bathroom fan...

if you can stop things getting wet, you win long term

also, wet leaves under or near the home can give off an odor....

hope that helps start the ideas rolling....

Brenda (OH)
roycebluebill

Get rid of the moldy, mildew materials first or else they continue to grow. For things like cabinets or vinyl, you can use one part bleach mixed with five parts water and put in a spray bottle and wipe the stuff clean. Careful to remove all the mold and mildew you can and then spray it again and wipe it dry and then let it air dry for awhile. There is another post having to do with getting rid of mold and mildew. Search it out.
DCDiva

I used OdorXit--I use the consentrate--I have many rentals and a daycare center--it is the best thing I have found--it eleminates the smell not cover it up--I have used it on one rental the had carpet in bathroom and the male population must have peed on the floor instead of the potty--it was so bad when I bought it I could not get close without holding my nose--I sprayed it one time and it was gone --I used it on male cat sprayed walls and couch---gone within a minute--I have used it on many things--even my dogs--safe on animals--I had one that would smell right after a bath--I think it is $ 35 for a bottle but you add to water in spray bottle--I love it--let me know if you get it and it works for this--the smell of it at first is ok and dissappears fast along with you bad smell LOL
Melissa