Repair dent in siding on 1970s singlewide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Looliegirl

My son punched the outside of my mobile home and there is about a 10" diameter dent in the siding. This is a 70s mobile home so it is the sheet type siding. I am wondering if a dent puller would work on this. It is a rental and the owners want me to fix it...obviously.

Thanks for any help!
Cheryl
Greg

Hi & welcome. I have my doubts that a dent puller will work. Siding usually has a texture to it that would make it hard for the suction cup to seal. Often you can simply take the screws out of a section at the top or bottom of the panel and reach in behind the panel and pop the dent back out with your hand. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Looliegirl

Thanks Greg. I will see if that works! By the way...this is a great site! Thank you!
Brenda (OH)

Hi Cheryl.

if the dent is stubborn, I wonder if you can slide a piece of wood in behind it, screw through a chunk of wood attached in front of the dent, and pull or pry on the top wood with the increase in leverage...

Brenda
Looliegirl

Thanks Brenda...I will keep that in mind! I am hoping it will pop out...now I just have to find someone who can help me!
Lifted79chevy350

I agree with Greg on that with the suction cup thing. The siding is textured. But if you got to most auto parts stores you can get a ding king from billy mase guy. This works by cleaning the surface then applying a hot glue/adhesive then you put on the cross bar and tighten it these can be had for about 20 usd. They can be a pain but they do work. Another option would be to buy or rent a dent puller. one way you put a screw in the metal and use the slide hammer it works but then you have holes from the screw which can be sealed with care. the other slide hammer option uses a spot welder to weld little tits to the metal you use the slide hammer to pull the dents. This route does not leave holes either. Another option i use on cars a lot is good old fashioned dry ice on a hot day but i don't know how well this works if your paneling has creases in it. Works great on hail damage too.
My mind never stops working.
Greg

I got to thinking (dangerous) but possible if use something thick like a layer of grease around the suction cup it may seal enough to pull the dent, then you only have a mess to clean up. It won't take much at all to pull out, siding has the thickness of about 5 sheets of tin foil. Stay away from the dent pullers that use a screw, then you will have holes to seal up as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lifted79chevy350

Lol thats a good idea wheel bearing grease possibly even crisco good idea Greg I learned something new. and I agree on the screw in dent puller.
Lifted79chevy350

If your anywhere near Wyoming I would be glad to come get it out for you.