Exterior door jamb repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

What's the quickest, least expensive and most secure way to fix this? (see picture)

I'm thinking something like this (either as the solution, or as a security addition): http://www.lowes.com/pl_Door+Jamb+Armor ... 4955008_40_

NOTE: The sill plate needs to be replaced (for both front and read doors- ack!), in which case I'll be looking to spend more time later on, but don't have a lot of time right now.

-mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brenda (OH)

I found this as a repair a jam kit

http://www.armorconcepts.com/Our-Solutions/FIX-A-JAMB

I have done something similar, when it is just that the frame is chewed up from too many lock changes... I remove the wood in the jam interior, about 1 1/4 inch wide, by about a foot. I then take a section of trex ballaster... this is a brand name of artifical decking, I am using one of the vertical stair railing pieces.... I install it in the space, using long deck screws 3 1/2 inches. if you have 4 inch ones even better.

I then drill out the holes needed for where the lock plates go with a spade bit. I then install the lock plates back on the jam, and check that the door locks still move in and out and lock correctly.

the fix a jamb kits look interesting, I just had the other materials available... they also have a bigger kit, that also reinforces the area around the lock, and the hinge side... but really, if a kick doesn't work, a window is going to be broken out at the next attempt, as they say, the burgler is going for the weakest link...
Brenda (OH)
Greg

If a Someone is REAL determined, A big truck will take the WHOLE thing!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

and a toter can take the whole home...lol Brenda bet the burgler with a toter doesn't bother with a moving certificate....Brenda
mdnagel

Yes, security requires multiple levels. It's really about slowing down burglars. If you're not an easy target they they'll seek out someone who is easier. But... if someone really wants what you have (they happen to know you, what you have), then yes, they're not likely going to stop at a stubborn door.

I did research on how to secure a tractor- WOW! Thieves steal HUGE tractors, and there's little that you can do to stop them!

Security strategy: Secure doors and windows. Motion sensor lights. Good neighbors. A good dog. And, mangled effigies of previously caught burglars scattered around the property! :-)
bobfather99

I recently had to do this repair on a friend's similar door(burglary attempt)

We peeled back the sheeting on the wall and added two 2X4s butted up together right against the new door jamb. Screwed them in with long deck screws to hold everything together, then drilled the new assembly for a new lock/deadbolt set. The thinking is you want to slow down a potential burglar and make his job tougher, so he gives up and finds an easier target, like an unlocked home. The deadbolt grabs much more material now, should someone try to kick it in, and has a more secure "feel".

Totally agree on the good dog and good neighbors. The older former Marine next door grabbed his bat and let his dog out on the bad guy, who chased him off. He got a few cases of Budweiser for his trouble.... :wink:
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Our security system!! works great as long as the intruder doesn't have dog bones, then all bets are off!!! Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

Ha ha! I've got to get one or two (will need a livestock guardian dog or two). My wife telecommutes and is home alone a fair amount of time; plus, her hearing isn't great! Initially she didn't want animals in the house, but she's since, wisely, adjusted this thinking :-) But, yes, security in layers!