Washing machine shut-off valves

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

Greetings all,
I've been replacing all my old non-functional Qest shut-off valves under sink fixtures with the usual 12" supply line/shut-off valve/Pex-to-PB connectors, all SharkBite brand stuff. Looking at the Qest washing machine valves, I can't seem to find any SharkBite replacement valve with the Pex barb end. Has anyone else made an upgrade to their washing machine valves? And what fittings were used? I've seen some nifty-looking dual valves but the pipe end is some weird NPT...not sure how to adapt the Pex and my wall box to...I may have to get creative here. Just don't want to have to tear into a wall:(
Steve
JD
Site Admin

I was in Lowe's today, looking for washing machine valves of all things. Then, just as you mentioned, I was holding and admiring a slick dual valve. It had a 1/4 turn thumb lever that shut off or on both hot and cold valves. Quality stuff! It was $17 something, which is only a couple of bucks more than 2 separate decent valves. I couldn't use it because my customer wants to only replace the one valve. I got a standard 1/2" fip washing machine valve and will connect that to the 1/2" pex fitting.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve S.

Hi JD,
OK, I guess I'll have to seek out the big box stores for a better selection. The dual valve set-up I looked at in the local hardware store had a MPT end labeled as 5/8" and I've never seen a Pex adapter for 5/8" NPT...maybe it was mis-labeled else I need new glasses :) Don't know if the dual set-up with one handle will fit my wall box...may have to cut new holes or get a new box...also don't know how much extra PB pipe I have to work with inside the wall, may have to go down under.
Thanks for your response.
-Steve
JD
Site Admin

This is the one I saw. The one I saw had 1/2" mip threads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve S.

Just bought the dual valve similar to your photo JD and installed it today...a bit pricey but works great...that's one less shutoff valve to worry about. Had to modify the wall box holes a bit to accept the new valve. Discovered an access panel behind the utility room in a hall closet...that made it much easier to replumb. Those old Qest valves are horrible...about 1 of the 8 I removed actually turned off the water flow. Besides the shutoff valves, a lot of the aluminum crimp rings are corroding and splitting esp. on the hot water lines...eventually I'll be completely Pex, but will have to be piecemeal.
-Steve