Do I mud moisture proof drywall in bathroom?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

creekside

Does one need to mud the moisture proof drywall that is hidden behind the shower walls and if so, do I need special mud that is resistant to moisture? I am laying the plywood floors, placing the basin, erecting the drywall and then securing the shower walls. How's it sound so far...
JD
Site Admin

Greenboard should be sufficient for use with a bath/shower enclosure unit. The drywall should be from ceiling to floor, with the tub mounted through the drywall, instead of to the top of the tub or basin. This can be a real problem if you had just enough room for your tub on paneling walls, as the wallboard will be much thicker. If the wallboard must go in after the tub you, you could add some water proof flashing tape from the paneling to over the nail flange of the tub or basin for added protection. Be sure to keep the wall board off of the flat parts of the tub edge so water does not wick up from the bottom. Seal the bottom of the enclosure real well. You could even run a thick bead of bath sealant just in front of where the enclosure wall is going to go and the "skreet" the sealant back with the bottom of the enclosure to help seal the back side of the enclosure wall and give the bottom of the enclosure wall some support after it cures. If the enclosure wall and the wallboard is in front of the nail flange, the enclosure will have about a 1/2" gap of nothing behind it to the tub flange. Hope that made sense.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
HouseMedic

Just to jump in, Make sure that your shower is suppose to go over the drywall. If it is a full unit it might be designed to go right to the studs. The you drywall around it.

Ron