So while I was out of town for a week for work. My gf calls me to tell me she smelled a burning smell through the whole house instantly. We figured out it was the AC because it would not come back on. After getting home, I took the door off and this is what I discovered:
This is a 4 speed, 4 ton, 2.9FLA, 1/3HP unit. I have not removed any wires from anything in this picture, just moved them around to get a better look. I see the part to the left of the transformer is what shorted out, but I dont know exactly what that part is called or the part number; except that is label as IFM and IFR on the wiring diagrams. Also, could this be the sole part that went out? What are my chances something else caused that to short out? As in if I replace that, would it do it again, because the source of the problem was caused from something else besides that part. There is a little melting damage to the some of the wires, but i can easily fix it with some heat shrink tubing and new connectors. Any info is appreciated.