Ahh....yet another drywall question!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TappanTrailer

I haven't posted here in a loooong time, mostly because my login wasn't working. Today it worked! Must be a good thing for the New Year!

I know there are many varying opinions on the "to drywall or not to drywall" question related to weight, cracking, etc. If I elect to drywall, most of the house will be 1/4 over the paneling due to weight concerns. I am assuming that there is a center I-Beam at or close to the marriage line, and the one wall of my daughter's bedroom is parallel and right next to the marriage line . I would really like to use Quiet Rock on this wall (both sides), and also on one wall in my bedroom. Quiet Rock only comes in 1/2" ... I think I would be safe since it is only going to be on a couple of walls (vs. whole house), but thought I would check here first.....if you think I can get away with that, I would dearly LOVE to do the inside of all the outside walls with Quiet Rock also...opinion on that? How much can I get away with?

Opinions?

Tami
Greg

I just did a quick check on it, I had not heard of it. Many mobiles come from the factory with 3/8" drywall so I don't think jumping to 1/2" would be much of a problem. I would remove the paneling first and attach the quiet rock directly to the studs. You may need to do something with the Electrical boxes, this would be a good time to switch to the boxes that are nailed to the studs rather than the style that is mounted to the drywall if you have it. You could also add some fiberglass insulation to add more sound suppression.

You should have 4 main beams under your home if it is a double wide, 2 on each side so weight on the marriage wall is supported by 2 beams.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TappanTrailer

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. It looks like all 3 reviewers on Lowe's gave Quiet Rock 5 stars for sound deadening. I have a 1977 mobile home, there isn't a stitch of sheet rock anywhere in it now. Just the 1/4" lovely wood paneling! I'm not really sure why I'm worried about it....so far the 700 lb piano hasn't bothered much and it is a is a much more concentrated area of weight. The piano is leaving, so I guess I'll just be swapping one weight for another.

Thanks for the suggestions and Happy New Year!