Water Pressure

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

We have been thinking about our water pressure for weeks now and have come to realize that the problem may not be in our lines. We've talked to other home owners who seem to have similar issues and came away realizing that the water pressure problem may have nothing to do with us at all except. We've been told that not only do we have a water regulator under the house the water pressure may be regulated at the street level thereby not allowing for standard water pressure and water flow. We are thinking that we need to consider increasing the regulator pressure and/or checking the water pressure at the street and increasing that as well. We think that the reason the pressure is so low is that the private community we live in has it regulated for a specific reason although nobody is certain. Our question is can we increase the water pressure at the regulator or do we have to adjust at the street level? Now that we have seemingly resolved the problem we need to know if we are indeed on the right track. Curious minds want to know.

psaltee
Greg

You need to put a gauge in the line and check pressures. If you only have 35psi (just pulling a number out of the air) from the street, you can not get more by adjusting the regulator under the home. I question the need for 2 regulators unless the pressure to the street main is very high. I would think that 2 regulators may also effect the flow rate also. I would contact who ever is responsible for water system and see if you can get an explanation from them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Psaltee

Greg,

Who is responsible for the flow of water at the street? Since the Community seems to have a consistent psi flow throughout we were thinking that its not the water company that is regulating the flow of water; it seems to be the decision of the community HOA that wants to have the same flow at every home. If that is the case then what is the reason for the regulator. It would seem to us that whatever the flow/pressure is at the street then the homeowner has the option to regulate (increase or decrease the flow/psi) to suit there needs. Is there reason to believe that we could damage something and create other problems or is this a well-meaning safeguard? Since the pressure is consistent throughout why couldn't we increase the water flow at the regulator? We are interested in a better psi/flow. What are your thoughts.

Appreciate your time,
psaltee
Greg

It would depend on who owns the pipes in your community. In ours the municipal system ends at the entrance of the park. The park owns all of the in ground plumbing within the park. You will need to check with management to find out if that is your case as well.

Most home systems should max out around 60 PSI, I would say 45 would be fine. Too much pressure and a seep turns into a leak.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I would think that each home owner is a voting member of the HOA and therefor indirectly you are responsible for the water pressure in the community.
Your issues need to be taken to the directors of your HOA at the next meeting. You will get the answers and likely find out why the pressure is the way it is and ultimately accept the situation as it is.

There are reasons for everything in life but most people do not know the reasons until they ask.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

It could be that the street level regulators were put in to protect the homes from excessive water pressure. While a regulator could be used to reduce total usage, they are primarily installed to limit high pressure. A pressure valve is $10 - $20 at most home stores. Use this to test the pressure in your home. It should be between 45psi - 65psi. At 70lbs plus, you could really be testing your plumbing fittings and fixtures.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.