sewer smell in air duct

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

creekside

Why do I smell sewer in my air duct?
Greg

I would start pulling registers and use a mirror & flashlight to check the ducts. if all is secure, go down under and take a close look.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

You most likely have a sewer leak or backed up sewer line under your home. Your heating ducts are not sealed very tightly and as such when the furnace/air conditioner runs it is drawing some air from under your home into the house.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Mark440

Been there. Done this one.

Every time I came home I kept smelling "moldy stale water" when the AC would cycle. Crawled under and found a section of belly cloth that was drooped way down...and real tight. Slapped it with my hand..and it slapped back. Used a small screwdriver to pierce a tiny hole...and out came a solid stream of water.

Made note of the belly 'section' and then attached a utility blade to a long pole (from a push broom). Slit smack down the center (lengthways). Man did the water coming pouring out! I let it drain the whole day then went back and cross cut every 4 feet or so. Pulled all the insulation out ...and ....found the leak in the elbow fitting. For no bigger than the leak was...it had been spraying water out for a LONG time!

In any case, made the line repairs - but left the area open for a solid week to let it fully dry out. I had no damage to the floor as the leak was below the floor and I guess I cought it before it got too full. The 'give' in the belly cloth was a life saver!

The final piece was to re-stuff with new insulation and then seal it back up. I used a heavy duty tarp cut into 4 ft x 2 ft pieces. I used a glue from Home Depot that comes in a gallon can (brown and white label??) and believe me this stuff puts off some vapors that are definitely hallucinogenic! The trick to the glue is to use a paint brush to thinly coat the patch area AND coat the patch piece. Let 'em air dry 5-10 minutes then stick the two glued surfaces together. The bond is instantaneous. NOTE: you get one shot at this. Any rumples or creases are there to stay.

Work your way down the entire repair area - overlapping each section a few inches.

Two years later....all is holding up just fine. The patches have not separated in any way. And the smell is gone.
Opportunity has a shelf life.