Newbie Nordyne Intertherm E2EB ducting question

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Telkwa

Hi, folks -
I had no idea there was a forum for mobile home HVAC!

Our 6 year old mobile has the above described Intertherm forced air furnace. An HVAC filter resides on the top of the unit. Right next to the HVAC filter, also on the top, is a piece of flexible plastic insulated ducting that runs vertically up to the ceiling.

What's that flexible duct for? Is it for recirc or fresh air maybe? Does the duct have to be in the system?

I have a little remodeling project in mind and the duct goes thru the ceiling at an inconvenient spot. Would it be O.K. to put a new hole thru the ceiling a foot or two "downhill" (vaulted ceiling) from the existing hole?

Thanks!
hvac1000

If you could post a picture of exactly what you are talking about it would be of great help.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Telkwa

OK, here we go I hope - the flexible duct goes up several feet and thru the ceiling. Thanks for looking at this...Image

The flexible duct is hose-clamped to a hole that goes thru the furnace framework and opens into the plenum where the blower and associated parts reside. I popped off the white piece of sheet metal (visible in picture below duct) to check the lower end of the duct. There's no damper or vane. Just a hole. So it appears to me that when the furnace is running it can pull thru the HVAC filter and this duct as well (?)
hvac1000

Looks like the manufacturer designed the home to use both gas or electric heat. It could be that the duct you are seeing was to be used as combustion air on a gas type furnace but is not since you have a electric one.

I figure it is bringing air from the attic space of the home down to the furnace. With that said I am sure you could move it around.

I hope you are not planning on using the space above the furnace for your project! This is the return air space for your furnace and should not be blocked.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

Hi,

That's your VentilAire Duct. It runs up to a roof-jack on roof and brings in fresh air when blower is running.

Not sure what you mean by moving is down the ceiling.

It would have to be connected to roof-jack, run with no kinks or blockages down to furnace collar connection.

It is for increasing the freshness of indoor air by mixing it with return air.

As HVAC stated, the area above furnace cannot be blocked or used for storage.

Not sure what remodeling you had in mind, but that area is not recommended for storage.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Telkwa

Hi, guys -

I've been wondering about that duct for several years, and you answered my question in two days. Kinda embarrassing.

At least now I know that the duct can't be moved or altered. And don't worry, I won't turn the area above the furnace into storage.

Thanks for the help!
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, glad you found us.

Please don't feel embarrassed, it is definately confusing looking and not something commonly known.

I was years into this trade before I found out what it was myself.

It is Mobile Home specific and not in all of them. BTW, well over 100 have walked that path before you, so you are not alone.

Anyway, please bookmark the site and come back if we can help again.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?