Ditching the furnace?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

So the place we're rebuilding has a furnace, but it doesn't work. There isn't even a thermostat on the wall anywhere. We're in central Florida, and made it thru the winter with only using the apartment furnace a handful of times. Is there any reason why I can't rip it out and seal up the floor vents?

We're replacing all of the insulation during the remodel, which will help.

The place does not have central air, and I doubt we'll install it in the future.
bondo

I did that a couple years ago because mice had pretty much destroyed it down below. Most will bring up the freezing water lines that run along the furnace ducts as an issue.
JeffInFL

Fortunately I won't have to worry about things freezing down here
eflyersteve

I'm in oklahoma where it can get below zero on occasion and 20's and teens isn't out of the ordinary in the winter. My furnace quit years ago and I've been using electric space heaters (about 5 throughout the house for really cold days). Never had a waterline freeze yet. The lines in my house run directly against the OSB flooring and inside the belly insulation. As long as the house is warm, the lines don't freeze.

I will also be ripping my furnace out and sealing up the hole. Plans are to install a packaged heat pump later on. A gas fireplace was installed a couple months ago and has kept the home warm on some chilly days without running very much.

Best of luck to you!
JeffInFL

Thanks Steve! I'm already planning for the extra space I'll have without the furnace .. it sits right next to the washer and dryer, so I'm going to put a utility sink somewhere in that area.
ponch37300

The only real issue besides the inside temperature is the water lines. If there is no chance of it freezing and you don't mind if it gets chilly then no problem. Other then resale in the future. Just make sure your underbelly is insulated good and sealed up tight and your skirting is intact and you should be fine if it does drop down close to freezing a few nights.
JeffInFL

The skirting is non-existent at this point (save for a few pieces of lattice) and the belly insulation is hanging out .. but it's not going to get cold any time soon.