What size heater do I need?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

StillKavey

MY home has no central A/C or heat. Hoping maybe next summer I can afford to do this. But anyway my question is what size baseboard heaters do I need to heat it? I got an area about 12X24 that needs heated. I was looking on this site http://www.shopfnc.com/qm2500.htm?sourc ... WAoduBgABQ and they have good prices so I thought I would give them a try but I am not sure what size I need for this large area. Last year I ran it off of three small space heaters but Im hoping the baseboard heaters might be a bit more efficient on the electric bill. Also anyone got a clue how much amperage these heaters use so I dont overload the circuit?
Any help is appreciated.. thanks.
StillKavey

I just seen on lowes website they have a gas wall mounted vent free fireplace that is rated at 20k btu.. any chance that would keep this area warm?
StillKavey

Hmm.. searching home depot I found a "gas wood stove" that is rated at 30k btu and claims to heat 1000 sq ft.. my house is only 720 sq ft *floor space* but im wondering if that measurement is floor space or total volume. Here is a link to it
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100264370
Thanks
hvac1000

StillKavey wrote:I just seen on lowes website they have a gas wall mounted vent free fireplace that is rated at 20k btu.. any chance that would keep this area warm?
You have a 288 sq ft area to heat.

Electric heat is electric heat. They are all 100% efficient so I would not go out and buy base board heaters because you have nothing to gain heat wise.

Never use a gas vent free fireplace or gas heater in a area as small as you have. You do not have enough area to supply the combustion air for burning gas or any other kind of fossil fuel including those small kerosene heaters. You also do not have oxygen to dilute the byproducts of combustion.

I would stick with what you used last year because they kept you warm.

The amount of amperage the heaters you now have draw is listed on the heater. This is required by law.

How did you go from 12X24 to 720 sq ft???

MY home has no central A/C or heat. Hoping maybe next summer I can afford to do this. But anyway my question is what size baseboard heaters do I need to heat it? I got an area about 12X24 that needs heated. I was looking on this site http://www.shopfnc.com/qm2500.htm?sourc ... WAoduBgABQ and they have good prices so I thought I would give them a try but I am not sure what size I need for this large area. Last year I ran it off of three small space heaters but Im hoping the baseboard heaters might be a bit more efficient on the electric bill. Also anyone got a clue how much amperage these heaters use so I dont overload the circuit?
Any help is appreciated.. thanks.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
StillKavey

How did you go from 12X24 to 720 sq ft???
The 720 is my whole house.. its a 12x60.. If I could use just one heater to keep the whole house warm it would be great.

The heaters I used last year arent gonna do it.. I bought those when I had hardly any cash and while they worked it wasnt comftorable and was constantly blowing fuses. I need to get something a little better.. were talking 6 or 7 20-30 dollar heaters here strung out through the house.. it wasnt a good thing and I had trouble sleeping wondering if one would catch fire... I definitely have to do something different this year and figured I would get started now before it gets cold and I get in a bind again and run to wal mart to buy what I can afford.
hvac1000

I had no idea what size home you had. You just stated the room size you said you needed to heat.

I looked at the web site you provided a link for.
This company has all the options listed for you.
How much electric each heater takes
The length of the heaters available
They have 110 volt or 220 volt heaters
They have files for instillation
They have operating costs
They have the current draw listed for each heater.

And just about anything else you need except a sizing diagram. Call them on the phone because they have a sizing chart for office use since all companies that sell base board heat have them for there customers.

You can get all the information from them just have your room sizes handy when you call. This is so much simpler than someone trying to guess what you need. Baseboard calculates just a bit different than a split system. That was a good idea of yours to find that web site it will save you much time and aggravation.

You have your work cut out for you.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
StillKavey

hvac1000 wrote:I had no idea what size home you had. You just stated the room size you said you needed to heat.
Yeah.. sorry about that.. I didnt mean to confuse you. The reason I ask about this particular room is because last year its the one I couldnt really keep warm.. the bedrooms and bathroom were easy to keep warm but the kitchen and living room were still chilly even with three space heaters in there... theres also 6 old windows in this area that probably doesnt help my cause but I had plastic over them.