Intertherm electric furnace will not heat

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

pvplyr

Hello. I've been registered here before but I forgot my log in so I created a new one. I'm sorry, but I do not know the model number right off hand. I just bought this mobile home. 1996 Champion 28x52 if that might help figure out the size and model of furnace. When I set the thermostat to heat and fan to auto and adjust the desired temp, nothing happens. I can only get the fan blower to run in the constant on position but still there is no heat. The AC was just installed witha new condensor above the furnace and it works great. I've never dealt with an electric furnace so maybe I'm setting the thermostat up wrong but I tried every possible way I could think of. Nothing. I do know it's a Nordyne Intertherm model. All circuit breakers were on and nothing kicked them off when trying to turn heat on. One interesting note. When thermostat fan was set to auto and heat/cool was set to off, if I turned the temp down to about 60 the blower fan kicked on. that seemed odd to me.
pvplyr

Apparently, it is an Intertherm modular blower with a newly installed Acoil condensor on top of it. I think the condensor is a goodman.
pvplyr

Wait a minut. I think I might have a goodman heat pump. Do they run any different than a typical furnace and how would I set the thermostat settings?
Mark
Site Admin

Without knowing what you have, it's really hard for us to help you. Heat pumps take an entirely different thermostat. Try to get the model numbers of the furnace and the a/c unit and we'll be able to much more assist you.

To me it sounds like something happened when the a/c unit was installed, and perhaps you should have the installer come look at it.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
pvplyr

Hi. The installer came yesterday. I do have an electric furnace not a heat pump. He forgat to hook the furnace back up after AC install. Everything's fine now. Thenks for your reply.
pvplyr

Had to call the repair guy back again. Furnace wouldn't heat on a 34 degree morning. He tested everything and said it was OK then went to the thermostat and set it about 5 degrees higher than what it was and everything worked. He said there was a 6 degree difference between the t stat setting and the temperature it is showing. Well, today, it stopped again. Turned the stat up to 85 waited for a half hour and nothing. Now, I'm thinking time for a new thermostat.
Robert

Turn power OFF to furnace, remove t-stat cover(s) to see wiring.

Disconnect Red and White wires (connected to R or RH and W) and tie/tape tightly together.

Turn power back ON.

If everything comes on and works fine, replace the t-stat.

If not, holler back again.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
pvplyr

Repair guy heard the limit switches clicking and found the elements had a couple of drier sheets lying on them and my blower wheel extremely dirty. Everything was cleaned and I'm amazed at the air flow difference. However, I woke up this morning and no heat again. T stat at 72 room was 65. I turned it up to 75, still nothing. My wife calls about 3 hours later and say the furnace just kicked on. I'm having them check the t stat today. i think it's junk.
Robert

Drier sheets, how in the world did they get there ? The test I gave above will tell if t-stat is bad, but since this is intermittant, it will only tell if unit is malfunctioning when t-stat is tested.

If those limits were opening and closing repeatedly, they can be come weak and do exactly what you're describing.

Keep us updated.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
pvplyr

well, I got it licked now. I replaced the old mechanical thermostat with a honeywell programmable and 3 days working fine now. Thanks for the help.
Robert

You're very welcome, glad it is fixed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert