Nordyne E3EBO12H Problem

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

chopfather

I recently installed a new Nordyne e3ebo12h furnace as it is a direct replacement form y old unit and I'm having a few problems.I have a hunter model 44110 digital thermostat wired as per the diagram in the owners manual/installation instructions that were supplied with the furnace. The problem I have is that when the furnace kicks on it appears that only the top element is working (glowing) but the bottom element begins to glow if the thermostat is turned down to make the furnace shut off. The blower motor stops and the top element doesn't heat up and I'm puzzled especially with this being a new unit. I was thinking maybe it's a sequencer problem since the bottom element doesn't heat up while the unit is running but does when it kicks off. Any ideas ?
Mark
Site Admin

It's possibly a sequencer problem. Could also be a problem with how the power was wired. Or maybe the furnace isn't correctly grounded.

If the furnace is less than 2 years old, it should be under warranty (unless it was homeowner installed). So I would call for a warranty inspection/repair and let them take care of it. If you touch it, the warranty could be void.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
chopfather

I installed it so I guess I'll go back over the wiring this weekend and see what I come up with. I'll let you know what I find and thnks for the prompt reply.
Robert

Do you have a wiring diagram ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
chopfather

Robert, I do have a wiring diagram and I'm almost certain that everything is wired per the diagram but just in case I missed something I'm gonna doublecheck al the connections and make sure everything is connected to the correct place . I thought that I had a bad bottom element or a loose connection when I first noticed that the bottom element wasn't heating but when I noticed it was heating up after the blower and top element kicked off I suspected the sequencer. I'm a carpenter by trade though so I thought it would be best to ask someone knowledgeable.
Robert

It could be a sequencer since that is what controls the elements and the blower motor, but sounds more like a missplaced wire.

If all wires check out and you wish to test sequencer, you can go here for step by step private email with me:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order4b.html

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
chopfather

Robert, I'll tear into it tomorrow and see if I misplaced a wire if I feel a bit better. The kids have been passing around a bug and I think I finally caught it. I'll post as soon as I figure something out. Thanks for all of your help.
Robert

Hi,

Sounds good, get better and holler when you're up to it.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Robert
chopfather

Robert, I've been extremely busy at work and the computer was down for a while so I finally took a look at the wiring and everything looks fine according to the diagram. The furnace comes on with the thermostat but only the top element heats until the fan kicks off then the top shuts off and the bottom starts to heat. I'm baffled and it's getting colder here but I'm not going to use the furnace until this is fixed. I took a few pics of the thermostat wiring and the t-stat wires at the furnace as well as the diagram from the instructions if you'd like me to e-mail them to the e-mail address you gave me let me know. Thanks for all your help to this point and for any in the future. Rick
Robert

Hi,

You can send them, but will need to go to the link I gave earlier for troubleshooting help. This is our busiest time and I am covered up now with hvac questions.

JFYI, I do not recommend Hunter t-stats and have seen lots of these type problems with them.

Could be that, could be a mis-wire or could be sequencer problem.

The sequencer must be wired to come on M1/M2, M3/M4 and then M5/M6 .

They energize at that sequence and turn off in reverse order, so it has to be wired right.

Thanks,
Robert
chopfather

i'll seend the pics to the link and maybe you can tell if I've miswired something but I don't think I have since I've been over the wiring diagram several times. I'll probably start shopping for a new t-stat also. I don't really need a programmable model anymore because someone is always home and will need the house to be warm so I just need a 5 wire heat / ac setup. I understand your very busy so I'll keep trying to figure it out while waiting for your input.
Robert

The link is to the troubleshooting fee paid for troubleshooting help.

You can post the pics here or send to my email, but will need to go to link and pay the fee before I go into this further.

Thanks,
Robert