nordyne heat problem

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

andy taylor

I need help it's beginning to get cold. I'm not sure of the model # as last year in the winter the 2 breakers/terminals wre melted somewhat and a tech replaced with cicuit breaker conversion kit #902514. It worked fine although at times it took a while to kick on. The # he wrote outside the new kit door is #FEHA-015HA. Does that sound right?

For a few times I could switch the on/auto switch at the furnace, slap it, switch the breakers on/off, and/or say a prayer, and it would run fine for a day or two. Now the on/auto switch does nothing, neither do the others. I'm hoping the lord has led me to this website.

The blower #901282 works fine when I set the stat for a/c, it blows cold air. When set for heat, either auto or on, in a couple seconds there is a faint click(not the loud one I'm used to hearing when it would kick on), then I can feel and smell the elements but no blower.

Another thing. 2 years ago my a/c didn't work and a relay was replaced but not with the exact replacement. I would like to replace with the right one. For model #901699-5 wire relay box. What relay do I need this sticks out and I've been unable to put the cover on. I'd like to keep the black widows out.

snakeman
Robert

Sequencer # 901075 @ $57.00 + $6.75 shipping.

It can be seen and ordered from right side here through PayPal:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

OR, by calling toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and charging to Visa or Mastercard.

Let us know if ordering from Canada.

Which relay was it, the reversing relay or blower relay ?

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
andy taylor

thanks,
Did I have the right model# of my nordyne unit? I would like to get schematics and so forth.

I don't even know what/where the sequencer is, other than one of the parts below where the disconnect breakers are, I'm sure.

Which relay u ask? I guess it's the reversing relay. The original only had 5 connecting tabs and was located in front of the blower with part#white-rodgers 9942
90-370
14FLA 84LRA 125VAC
8 FLA 48LRA 250VAC
25A 277VAC
COIL 24v 50/60HZ
Last edited by andy taylor on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy taylor

Robert I hope I uploaded these pics correctly.
Maybe you could direct me to the sequencer with the unit002 pic.
The relay the tech replaced was the bottom right one in pic003. Is that the reversing relay? What would be the correct part #?

Also the blower housing says to once or twice a year clean blower and add 2 or 3 drops of sae 20 motor oil to bearings(if equipped with oiling tubes). How do I know if it has them? Should I be cleaning and oiling the blower? I haven't since I've lived here for 7 years now.

Snakeman
Robert

Hi,

Only got two pics, didn't get the third one to see rev. relay.

If you go to above link I gave you for the sequencer, you can locate it and see it. Click on pic for enlarged view.

Go here for info on cleaning blower motor:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... lower.html

It will have two small oil ports, one on each side at edge of motor with metal or plastic plugs if it needs oiling.

Should also say on motor if it's self lubricated or manually lubricated.

The sequencer is top left part in second pic beside the transformer.

Changing these parts can get confusing with wiring if not experienced, so may need to have Tech do it, I'll leave that to you.

Yes, the number you gave is a valid furnace model number.

You can call toll free between 9A/5P CST mon thru Fri and order a wiring and parts diagram for $15 .

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Relay # 621867 on left side of page.

It is a blower relay and controls blower motor in a/c mode or any time unit is set to Fan ON Continous.

That is only rely in a 5 wire relay box.

Thanks,
Robert
andy taylor

robert,

new sequencer is installed. I even removed blower and cleaned(disgusting it was). Everything was installed in reverse order and sequencer was wired correctly.

Here is what I have now.
thermostat set above room temp on auto/ initial click sound there is no fan/ second click, elements emit heat, but still no blower.

thermostat set above room temp on run/on and blower will run.
that's better than before but still not fixed entirely.

The switch inside the unit is set to auto. Could I have burned up switch. The sequencer was definitely bad as one side of it crumbled apart when removing wires.

Where do I go from here? I appreciate your help with this.

Thanks ,
Snakeman
Robert

Hi,

Do you have a multi-meter to test for voltages ?

Thanks,
Robert
andy taylor

yes I do have a multi-meter to test. Where do I test ?
Robert

Set t-stat to heat/auto/85* .

At sequencer look for bottom brass terminals H1 on one side and across on other side is H2.

Place one meter lead on each at same time and see if you have 24-28VAC.

IF you do, then set meter to test for 300+VAC and look at top silver terminals above the H1/H2.

Test across M1 and M2 for 240VAC.

IF you have 24-28VAC at H1/H2, you should read 0VAC at M1/M2.

Thanks,
Robert
andy taylor

hello robert,

After following your instructions I read OVac across H1/H2. I also have 0Vac across M1/M2.

I did another test I read posted on the forum.
With call for heat I tested the blower relay, which i understand is for a/c, across 5 and 6 which read 0V. Then 5 to ground=160Vac
6 to ground=0Vac

I hope this info helps.

Thanks, Andy
Robert

Hi Andy,

Test M1 to ground and M2 to ground for 120vac each.

Also locate transformer and test LINE side for 240vac and LOAD side for 24-28vac.

Thanks,
Robert
andy taylor

hi Robert,

I ran the tests with thermostat off as well as call for heat and the results were the same.

M1 to ground=164V
M2 to ground=162V

transformer
Line side=330V
Load side=40V

Is this what you expected?
Robert

Are you sure the meter is accurate, a little high on those readings?

Call for heat:

H1/H2 = 24-28vac

M1/M2 = 0vac

M1 to grnd = 120vac

M2 to grnd = 120vac

NO call for heat:

H1/H2 = 0vac

M1/M2 = 240vac

M1/grnd = 120vac

M2/grnd = 120vac

Thanks,
Robert
andy taylor

I changed the battery in the meter and ran these tests again.

call for heat;

H1/H2=0v, should I have 24-28?
M1/M2=0v
M1 to grnd= 120V
M2 to grnd=120V

No call for heat

H1/H2=0V
M1/M2= 240v
M1/ grnd=120v
M2/ grnd=119V