Nordyne/Miller/w Beckett oil smell from ducts

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

SpongeBob

Greetings again from N.H.
There is no leaking at all around the 2 year old Beckett burner. I put paper towels, white paper underneath, no drips at all. The furnace itself is 14 years old. When the T-stat calls for heat the #1 oil smell (or could it be exhaust?) is very evident from the vents. It smells like jet fuel. My CO detector is about 10 feet away and has never gone off although I test it weekly. I have beent told that My Nighthawk CO detector for $85. is an inferior one and that $200 should be spent on a quality CO detector. Anyway, I have changed out the nozzle, new electrodes set just right, air & combustion are good. Tech did all of a 25 minute tune up and left me a tag with all the combustion results....86.7 efficient. I'm afraid I'm looking at a heat exchanger issue. and a possible furnace replacement issue. Is looking for a gasket or crack issue with the heat exchanger a DIY project? Thanks for any ideas....it's cold!
-Bob
Robert

Hi Bob,

I wouldn't advise DIY on those due to fact it can be a hard find sometimes and without the tools and equipment, you cannot 100% be sure.

IF you miss it (a crack), it could prove fatal and not worth it.

Need a good Oil Tech to look at it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
SpongeBob

Hello Robert & happy holidays.
Thanks for your reply. Today I am haveing a tech come in and run a "smoke test" non-toxic to see if any comes thru the vents with the blower on. I wll let ya know, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the market for some new heating equipment. Have a great day
-spongebob
Robert

Hi,

Thanks for updates.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
SpongeBob

Hi, the company came out and intoduced smoke and oil of wintergreen into the exchanger. Neither produced any kind of result thru the floor vents. I was told that my heat exchanger is still fine (for now). He then used an expensive looking CO detector at each vent, exhaust chimney flue, and even reached it into the combustion port window. He said all results were about 055ppm and within very normal limits. His final conclusion was that I (and probably others who buy kero from them) received an inferior batch of fuel. He concluded that I would have the kero odor until my next delivery. Should I accept his conclusion. I can take the smell as long as I know there is no CO present at dangerous levels.
-spongebob
Robert

Sounds like he did a thorough testing and should be ok with it.

Robert