Finding handyman..

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

tinyone

or contractor. I've been ripped off :oops: (twice). No small amounts, either. It doesn't look like I can get any $ back, or even complain. I've been on a 'list' to find reliable contractors/handymen, so far no one does this type of work! Although, I did send out 5 more fresh emails requesting quotes. Btw, I'm brand new to this forum. I live near nw O'hare airport area.
Greg

Hi & welcome. We do not keep a list of contractors here, but perhaps someone in your area knows of one, or check with some of the park managers in your area for recommendations. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Tiny let me offer up a few thoughts here in an effort to help. First and foremost when dealing with contractors or handypersons (yes..wimminfolks do this too!) ask your friends and neighbors. Don't be bashful about walking right in and talking to a homeowner as they are having some repairs/work done. Ask them if they're satisfied with the work and prices. There's a of of handymen/wimmin' out there and the only thing that travels faster than a good report is a bad one! I live in a small area and opened up the Yellow Pages and found a dozen ads listed under...Handyman Services. Many don't advertise..ask at your local church and look at the bullitin boards in the local grocery store and laundrymat as well. Don't be shy about asking for references either! Now handymen are usually a good choice for minor repairs/upgrades etc. They tend to take on smaller jobs that the big contractors don't want to fool with. (read; ...most anything to do with mobile homes..) Whether a bonifide contractor or a handyman service..get an estimate and a contract..in writing if possible. Generally speaking you pay half now..the other half when the job is completed..to YOUR satisfaction. If it takes twice as long as they said it would and they try to "gig" you with cost over-runs etc....show them the contract and make them follow it. The half you pay up front is to cover the materials..the second half is their profit. Also..you can save a bunch if you offer to do the "clean-up." Why pay someone $50per.hr. to clean up? For really minor jobs like replacing a faucet, hanging a ceiling fan or fixing that %$#*! light-switch that works part-time...go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up one of the books in their self-help section. They also offer up free seminars on flooring, drywall, plumbing and many other minor repairs. Free! Hope this helps Tiny. YMHS...Audie..the longwinded..and frugal..Oldfart! :)
tinyone

oldfart wrote:Tiny let me offer up a few thoughts here in an effort to help. First and foremost when dealing with contractors or handypersons (yes..wimminfolks do this too!) ask your friends and neighbors. Don't be bashful about walking right in and talking to a homeowner as they are having some repairs/work done. Ask them if they're satisfied with the work and prices. There's a of of handymen/wimmin' out there and the only thing that travels faster than a good report is a bad one! I live in a small area and opened up the Yellow Pages and found a dozen ads listed under...Handyman Services. Many don't advertise..ask at your local church and look at the bullitin boards in the local grocery store and laundrymat as well. Don't be shy about asking for references either! Now handymen are usually a good choice for minor repairs/upgrades etc. They tend to take on smaller jobs that the big contractors don't want to fool with. (read; ...most anything to do with mobile homes..) Whether a bonifide contractor or a handyman service..get an estimate and a contract..in writing if possible. Generally speaking you pay half now..the other half when the job is completed..to YOUR satisfaction. If it takes twice as long as they said it would and they try to "gig" you with cost over-runs etc....show them the contract and make them follow it. The half you pay up front is to cover the materials..the second half is their profit. Also..you can save a bunch if you offer to do the "clean-up." Why pay someone $50per.hr. to clean up? For really minor jobs like replacing a faucet, hanging a ceiling fan or fixing that %$#*! light-switch that works part-time...go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up one of the books in their self-help section. They also offer up free seminars on flooring, drywall, plumbing and many other minor repairs. Free! Hope this helps Tiny. YMHS...Audie..the longwinded..and frugal..Oldfart! :)
Ok. 1st of all, I'm a FT caregiver for an elderly aunt. I just don't have time for seminars, & those things aren't my issues anyway. The people that live in my park are snakes, the two rip-offs I mentioned, 1 lives here & continues to work, despite the $ he ripped me off for. The other was a referral from a neighbor. I did ask another neighbor when I saw him having work done. The woman who answered the phone # he gave me, told me to never call there. The park 'managers' here a a JOKE! I am on a paid list for supposed honest contractors, out of over a dozen half won't work on a MH, & the other ones can't be bothered or are too busy to answer. Thanks, tho, in an ideal situation those things would probaly work.
oldfart

M'am....I'm sorry I live so far away. I regret that I have no secure answer but do not be discouraged. On reading some previous posts I saw where one of our friends had a plumbing problem that she could find no answer for and suddenly.....a plumber arrived..with the exact correct parts in hand! Go figger? She told all she knew of her delimma..and..he arrived. Hmmm? Now she basks in a tub of bubbles! (and I'm told she toasts me with a dark beer on said occassions!) I salute you for your gift of caring and caregiving and pray you will find the help you need soon. #6:24. Audie..the Oldfart...
Yanita

Hey folks,

I am moving this to the Off Topic forums. This forum is reserved for repair questions.

Follow me there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tinyone

oldfart wrote:M'am....I'm sorry I live so far away. I regret that I have no secure answer but do not be discouraged. On reading some previous posts I saw where one of our friends had a plumbing problem that she could find no answer for and suddenly.....a plumber arrived..with the exact correct parts in hand! Go figger? She told all she knew of her delimma..and..he arrived. Hmmm? Now she basks in a tub of bubbles! (and I'm told she toasts me with a dark beer on said occassions!) I salute you for your gift of caring and caregiving and pray you will find the help you need soon. #6:24. Audie..the Oldfart...
Hey, thanks lots for your very kind words!
I did call my local church, & their secretary's hubby will be setting up appt. w/me, so hopefully it'll work.
I just didn't realize how difficult find a mobilehome handyman would be..