Housewrap in place of bellywrap?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

riesesdad

Is the Tyveck (or similar) housewrap a suitable belly wrap?
flcruising

Tyvek is essential an air barrier that allows moisture to migrate through. It simply allows the walls to breathe.

Your belly wrap performs the same way, but unlike tyvek, it's a woven poly sheet similar to a tarp, that has tiny holes that allow the underside of your house to breathe.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
riesesdad

So similar enough for a substitute?
flcruising

Basically.

The only problem I foresee it it may not support the insulation and piping the same as the belly wrap.
Yanita

Hi,

Although I am not completely knowledgeable on the fabrication of the belly material I also think that it is impregnated with an oil type substance. Hope fully someone will come back and clarify this...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Yes it is impregnated and resists critters and mildew, rot.

A lot different than Tyvek or a tarp.

Nothing will work the same or better.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Thanks Robert...

Riesesdad,

If you do not have a local mobile home parts store in your area Mark sells the belly material in the Books/Parts link above.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

The product sold through this web site is the correct stuff to use and with shipping, it comes out to about 15 cents a square foot. It also comes in 16' widths which would make the job easier to do. With the amount of labor involved to install it, I wouldn't scrimp on materials.

I use spray adhesive, which is also available through this web site, to install the underbelly material. When I staple the material to the rim joists, I will still use the spray adhesive to help hold the material in place and to get a good seal. Then I will use just a couple of staples to install a 1-1/2" strip of 1/4" plywood. pinning the material to the bottom of the rim joist. Fold the material back over the plywood strip and then staple every 8" or so. The spray adhesive does an excellent job of sticking the poly material to buffalo board.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

Not trying to start an argument here, but the belly frabric on my house is a woven polyethylen sheet JUST like the tarp I have outside.

They both resist critters because they aren't a food source for them.
Robert

Hi Aaron,

IF the belly material is OEM from factory, it is not like a tarp.

No argrument, just stating facts. It resists critters because it is impregnated and designed to do so.

Tarps rot, belly fabric does not. Tarps do not resist critters nor protect underside of home as bellywrap does.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flcruising

I'm not advocating using a tarp as a belly wrap, but it seems like you are saying they are completely different materials, and they're not. They were designed for different purposes, and honestly the belly wrap is inferior in it's qualities because of that.

My house came from the factory (2007 model)with a woven polyethylene (plastic) fabric, just the same as a poly tarp, but without a waterproof coating.

Tarps rot because they're exposed to the sun's uv rays. The sun doesn't get under the house therefore it's a different conditon, but they still degrade with time.

Critters don't eat either material because they're plastic, not food.

There's nothing special about the belly wrap under my house, maybe mines inferior?
riesesdad

I like to hear both opinions.

15 Cents/sq foot is pretty darn cheap. I didn't realize it was this inexpensive.

It would probably go a long way to ensuring that all the little holes are filled, keeping the critters away.
Robert

Ok, this has went its limit, the original poster can make his own choice.

With that said, tarps and bellywraps ARE different.

Critters do not eat them, they chew through them and resist the belly fabric more because it is impregnated and designed for that.

Tarps rot from far more than UV rays.

These are not opinions, but are facts derived from many years of experience out in the field doing MH repairs.

IF you wish to believe those statements and/or use that mindset in your home, that is fine, BUT trying to refute statements made here by site moderators and/or admins will not be tolerated.

This thread will be locked at this time, if any future questions or info is needed, please start a new thread.

Thanks,
Robert