Coleman furnace with trouble

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

deri

I am familiar with the normal sounds of the furnace cycle and they have changed in the last several days. Usually I will hear the burner ignite, then builds to a temperature and the blower comes on.

Now the furnace will ignite, but turns on and off several times before the blower kicks on. Can hear the clicking! Sometimes the ignition & burner turn on and off (clicking) while the blower is still on.

It is still producing heat, but the cycle is not what it should be. Is something clogged or about to wear out? Would like to stay in front of this problem as it is mighty cold outside.

Thanks for any help.
deri

Sorry ... Furnace is a Coleman/Evcon Model #409290C and Serial #HWSV9500

2 months ago I was prepared to replace the Fan Timer Control Board (Part# 406650) as the blower was not coming on. I pulled the motor & plugged in to wall socket. Has worked fine since. Now the ignition seems bad. Could it be related to the control board?
Robert

Hi,

Don't recognize that model number. Look on furnace facing for data sticker with furnace specs and model number.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
deri

Hello Robert,

Thanks for directing me to the right sticker. The model number is Evcon BGM06016C

Does the Fan Timer Control Board have anything to do with the ignitor?

The furnace now runs for a long time (2 mins) before the ignitor sets off the burner. And it continues to run after the blower & burner have shut down.

Just lost my job so I'm trying to fix it if I can. Do have an electrician friend who feels the control board is going, but the ignitor was not clicking when he looked at it.

I sure appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Deri
Robert

Hi,

Can you take a pic of what you're calling a Fan Timer Control Board ?

Your furnace has an Ignition Module, is that it ?

No listing for p/n 406650 either.

Very few parts available for your furnace.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
deri

Hi Robert,

Yes there is a Pilot Ignition control (Honeywell SV9500). The Electronic Fan Timer is Honeywell Model # ST9141A1002

I can't send you a pic, but this model number is online with pics. While it is called an Electronic Fan Timer, everything seems to be plugged into it and it has LED indicator light.

Yesterday it would not ignite. After checking to make sure snow was not plugging the vent, all I did was unplug and replug a couple of wires in the pilot ignition control and retaped a wire (looks like it goes to the thermostat) and the furnace is working ... for now.

Several months ago the blower wouldn't come on now the ignition ... does it seem like this part is failing or could the wire to the thermostat cause both problems?

Thanks,
Deri
deri

Hello,

Well I spoke too soon. Furnace ran for about 24 hours and then stopped working. It does turn on but will not ignite.

Could it be the pilot ignition control (SV9500)? I think I saw an explanation of cleaning the pilot on your website. Guess I'll try that next.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again,
Deri
Robert

Hi Deri,

Ok, the OEM parts are no longer available and your furnace has universal replacement parts in it.

Go here and read thoroughly for great info on the SV9500
Smart Valve technology:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/p ... 9-1270.pdf

Could be that or the Fan Timer or intermittantly both.

Will need to follow wiring diagram and above link info to troubleshoot and determine fault.

Thanks,
Robert
deri

Thank you Robert! You are a peach. Thanks for the SV9500 info and let you know.

I am very humbly grateful for all your help.

Have a great day,
Deri
Robert

Hi Deri,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert