Outrageous voltage draw on heat cycle

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

duck69

We are talking $635.00 electric bill for one month. My wife and I recently purchased a Double Wide in the country. The unit has a new thermostat which was installed last month. One of the automatic heat/cool kind. After receiving the first bill. A whopping $635.00 for the residence. I shut everything off, turning on big items one at a time. The furnace makes the dial want to jump out of the meter. We are talking 1 turn every 2 seconds. I checked the wiring for the thermostat for shorts, none. I pulled the thermostat and checked the wiring, correct. I checked the dip switches on the thermostat, correct. I checked the thermostat mostly because a history pull of previous electric bills shows an average of $180.00 prior to the thermostat change.
Any ideas? if so, Do you carry the parts?
Furnace Unit - Intertherm
Model - FEHA-015HA-01

Thermostat - AUBE
Model - TH141A-HC-28
Robert

Hi,

Put old t-stat back in and recheck, quick way to eliminate the t-stat.

Check to see if everything shuts off when supposed to.

Get ammeter and check amp draw.

Have utility company inspect meter.

Something is causing it, if nothing found, call an hvac tech.

If a part becomes needed, we should have it if still available.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?