e2eb-015ah

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

btsrmaster

Hello,

I am hoping to find some help with my electric furnace model e2eb-015ah. I have a 32x80 mobile home with this unit installed. My last 2 electric bills have been around $520! It has always been high here, but nothing like this.

I replaced the sequencer and all of the wiring this summer because the old sequencer caught fire due to water leaking from the overhead coils. Everything appears to work fine and I read the proper voltages talked about here on the forum. About a month ago (first $500 electric bill!) I went under the trailer with some foil tape and tried to tape off all leaks coming from the duct work to the registers inside the house. This was a pretty tough project and took a couple of hard days work. I feel that all leaks have been repaired and all of the air in the system should be coming inside the house now.

It has recently turned very cold here in Alabama so I have noticed the furnace is running non-stop. I guess that explains the expensive electric bill. I inspected the air coming from each register inside the home and found that the air coming from the ones on the far end of the house is kind of cool. I thought that maybe I had a bad heating element, but each one measures 240 vac and about 11.2ohms on each one with power removed.

I found that the yellow wire was connected to the blower relay indicating med/low speed while the elements are heating. I changed this to the red wire for low speed hoping that the air would be warmer coming from the registers. The air still feels very cool to me. Any suggestions?
Robert

Hi,

Start at one end of one half and remove the register and place a bright light down in duct facing next register.

Then go to next register, remove grille and hold mirror down and look back toward light.

Keep doing this until the end.

Then do other side for a fairly good inspection of ductwork.

You can do this and use a digital camera to take pics.

send them to your email, enlarge them and get a really good look.

Was your crossover duct underneath the home straight and tight with no kinks or tears ?

That ensures the airflow gets there. Also be sure the A-Coil, blower motor and wheel are clean.

Get an ammeter and test each element to see what amp draw is and compare to data sticker ratings.

This lets you know if elements are working to design specs.

After all this, if still not ok, have a ACCA Manual J Load Calculation done to see if the furnace is correct size.

Seems a little small for 2500+ sq. ft. .

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tritontr

Do have a heat pump or are you heating with electric strip heat only? You said you went under your house and taped up the ductwork is your ductwork protected by insulation and belly board material or is it exposed? Do you have any skirting around your house? As mentioned above by Robert an amp meter will tell you how your strips are operating and whether or not one or more are cutting out during your heat cycle.