All four heating elements come on at the same time E2EB-02HB

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

okbluemax

My sons Electric Bill has doubled from last month, normally $180 now $425. ( 2000sq ft mobile home in Ok. heating bills normally not very high. )
He has a E2EB-02HB Intertherm Heater in his Home. I started checking things out for him and when I turned the heat on, as soon as the blower came on all four heating elements came on. It has two 60 amp breakers in the cabnet one amps 40 amps and the other amps 44 amps. When the house warms up and the Thermstat kicks off all four shut off at the same time.
I have looked at the wiring diagram and don't see anything that looks like a sequencer. ( could be because I don't know what I am Doing) Ha Ha
Any one have any idea's, could this cause his electric bill to double or do I need to look some place else? I have already checked electric hot water tank, freezer and icebox,and heat tape, that just leaves the Heater!!!
Thanks, okbluemax
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Your particular furnace uses contactors instead of sequencers. I show it contains 2 contactors, part number 621958. Unlike sequencers, contactors have no delayed timers in them.

Along with the contactors, you also have 2 blower relays. Those are part numbers 621898 & 621899. However, I believe those relays are more for adjusting the speed of the motor when switch from heat to cool.

From what I can tell, all 4 elements are suppose to come on at once. Just be sure when they shut off, all 4 are shutting completely off. If I'm wrong, Robert will respond and correct us.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
tritontr

Do you have a heat-pump ?
okbluemax

No, He doesn't have a heat pump. I kept looking for a Sequencer and now I know why I couldn't find it!! I had always thought that the heating elements came on slowly not all at once. If we would have had a 100 amp sevice to the house the breaker would blow every time the heater came on. Good thing we have a 200 amp service. Thanks, Guys Guess I'll have to keep looking. This retirement is working me to death!!!! THANKS,
Robert

Hi,

Check utility rates over that period for increased rates. Next check for a shorted circuit keeping an element energized at all times.

Need to know if in fact, laid eyes on it, that all 4 are coming on and all 4 are shutting off.

Check for shorted circuit on any other 240 volt circuits.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
okbluemax

I had my Son turn the thermostat on and I ran an Amp Meter on both 60 amp breakers, both showed readings one was 40 amps and the other was around 44 amps. They both stayed on till the house warmed up and the unit turned off.
I crawled under the house yesterday and checked the ducting that connects the two sides of the house. Everything was good no leaks.
Our Electric Bills show our usage for the last 12 months, from this month last year till now. That really helps a person keep tabs on their usage. All Winter long last year and this year the bill stayed under $200 Dollars until last Month it jumped to $425. So that shows me either we used more for that month, be it a short or some other problem, or the Power Company Meter has went bad.
I worked for this power company for over 35 years, over that time I have seen only two or three Meters that registered fast, most of the time they will slow down or stop working all to gather.
One of the ways we checked High Bill Complaints was to have one Man at the Power Meter and have the Home owner start unplugging everything in the house until the meter totally stops.
We have found Fish tank heaters shorted out, heat Tape shorted out or still running in the Summer time, we found Air conditioning units trying to cool the house while the heater in the same unit was trying to heat the house, One Women had Company come and stay in a Bed Room she always keeps closed off from the rest of the house when they left, the Electric Blanket had slide over behind the Bed and was left on High. Needless to say her Electric Bill Jumped up. Holes in the tubing on Water Wells and the pump running full time, and so on.
I'll bet we used the power I just have to figure out how, we will do the Meter Trick Today.
Thanks for your time, okbluemax
Robert

Hi,

Sounds good, keep us posted.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?