What emergency parts? MMBB-90

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

NMHighPlains

We live on a ranch 30 miles from town and the furnace, of course, has trouble only when the weather is bad and the roads closed and the snow drifts are up to the roof. This past snow storm, the furnace suddenly quit working and I discovered that snow had blown into the fresh air intake (50 mph winds, not totally surprising), the vent was covered with ice (had to climb up on the roof and knock it off) and that the ignitor wasn't working. In fact, when I checked it, the center porcelain part was broken and loose. I had an old ignitor that was replaced last year because it wasn't working and amazingly, it worked when I tried it! The furnace still didn't fire- it would light, burn for about 5 seconds, and then go out- so I figured there were still snow or something in the way. We used our emergency vent-less propane heater and survived the night. The next day, I flipped the switch and the heater fired up and has been running 24 h. now perfectly normally.

Three questions:

1) Obviously, I need to order a backup ignitor. What other emergency parts should I order? What would YOU keep on hand, short of an entire furnace?

2) Any suggestions on the problem above? I was getting 3 blinking red lights. I'm figuring either snow that I didn't clear or maybe moisture on the centrifugal switch in the blower as the pan on top of the fresh air pipe was full of snow.

3) Any suggestions on keeping ice and moisture off the vent? It unfortunately is on the north side of the house and the worst winds come from the north. A baffle on the north side maybe?

Any comments/advice appreciated!
Robert

Hi,

Due to bad weather here and some home damage, have got behind on forum questions and emails.

Will try to have an answer by tonight/tomorrow late sometime.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?